X

92 Katana - No Spark

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 Katana - No Spark

I just purchased a Kat - non runner with no spark.
    I removed the carbs because they always need cleaning when they sit that long and I need some help to get some spark.

A few days ago I had some dull/dim but blue spark and when I tried to run the bike after installing the carbs I didn't hear it fire once.

So here I am now removing the plugs and plug wires and checking for spark again.

I tried checking ac & dc voltage off the alternator and I got nothing but I may have been doing it wrong now that I have read more.

Next time Im checking from the red wire to ground if I have any voltage generating but besides the point

It could be the pickup(s?) on the crankshaft. its probably not the Ignition Coils.

What else is there to check.

Does the AC Generator produce the signal and power going to the coils also or does that come from the battery? e.g. bike will run without an alternator albeit not very long

Also my carburetors had a couple issues...

The 2 jump tubes by the vacuum/cv slides in between the outside and middle carb are 'rotted off'
    They Tee into both carburetors but the ends where a hose should go has rotted out. It is like a Tee.

hose #6

Also missing the spring adapter that goes over the needle so the spring isn't pushing on the slide
    Part #8 on the picture

part # 13382-42A00

Then I found under the pilot air screw that one of the rubber washers was missing where the spring, then a small metal washer sandwiches in between the carburetor.

Just an observation.
    Last edited by Vodka; 12-06-2014, 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey man, welcome to KR!

If you haven't found them yet, there are a couple things to go get in the wiki (link at upper left) a service manual, and carbs 101. Carbs 101 is a detailed how to for carb cleaning. Seems like this isn't your first rideo, but more info can't hurt.

It's common for these bikes to get low voltage to the coils. A popular mod is the coil relay mod. It bypasses the old wiring harness and puts juice straight from the battery to the coils. While this isn't a substitute for properly checking voltages along the harness and fixing where appropriate, it's a good temporary solution. If you're good with a soldering iron and have parts on hand, shouldn't take more than an hour and a half to put a coil relay together. If you get that hooked up and still have spark issues, that narrows down things considerably.

FYI, you're supposed to get at least 10v with the engine cranking when measured at the coils or you'll have spark issues. So I should have led with measure voltage there 1st and if it's low try the relay mod, or go through each connection on the harness and fix/clean when you find voltage drops.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Ahh thanks for the reply! Not my first rodeo but everything's different when you switch brands. I'll look into the coil relay mod and I was dloading the service manual when I posted this thread! I'll get back to you my findings. I did unseat some connectora and redo them and I'm getting blue spark buy still my plugs are getting wet now and no idle has occurred.

Comment

Blue spark is a good spark. Orange is a weak spark. Check the voltage feeding the coils while attempting to start, 11v+ needed for a good cold start. How old are the plugs and fuel?
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Found those !

and this

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

I got a friend who is into wiring and he has those relays laying around. He has a series of two of them together that he does funky stuff with in car installs

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Blue spark is a good spark. Orange is a weak spark. Check the voltage feeding the coils while attempting to start, 11v+ needed for a good cold start. How old are the plugs and fuel?
            Shit, it's 11v? Oops, my bad.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

10v will get it started, just not so quickly when cold.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

If I did it correctly today...

The voltage on the orange wire at one of each of the coils to ground drops to 6-7V While cranking

Oah yeah - 3 BARK plugs are new other than yesterdays wet-gassy issue, theyre dry now.
                I flushed the fuel tank and the fuel inlets have filters in them. The old stuff in there was cloudy but not rusty or full of water/moisture when I emptied it into a glass bottle
                I always keep my fuel cans sealed with no contaminates and less than a month old.

With the low voltage, it seems like the bike will fire as soon as you push the [starter] then it peters out and just keeps cranking over.

Almost had it running yesterday but then the lighting fuse blew ( 10A ) because I had the charger on the battery while I started it... ZZzzzz

Comment

6-7v is no bueno, was the battery fully charged? 11v+ needed for good spark. If the battery is good and charged, I would start cleaning all connections and use dielectric grease on them, including the switches before you do the relay mod.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

A battery can hold a +12v charge but not have the amperage to turn the starter and power the rest of the system, have it load tested, altho if your dropping to 6-7v on start.... time for a new battery
                    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Battery is new last year for my other 750cc bike, sure the CCA might be down a little but I know it does well in anything I put it in.
                      I got the bike cheap because it was doing this.
                      Didn't come with a battery.
                      I'm pulling the igniter cover today to check that out

Comment

Low coil voltage and over fueling maybe your problem.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Is the igniter rotor supposed to be oil bathed?
                          Nice looking melk oil there, its super synthetic oil

Comment

????? Milky oil.... Not good. Yes, oil is present there. There is a drain hole on the lower right side.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Holy crap that doesn't look good. Looks like water got mixed with your oil somehow from that pic. Ewwwww

Mine's never had THAT much oil there...
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                              X