X

New headlight socket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New headlight socket

When I got my Pre 600 it needed a new headlight socket because the PO, for some unknown reason, cut the old one off. Grabbed one from the local auto parts place and it worked fine...until today. Two miles into my commute, in the morning dark of course, and the world went dark. Gauges, turns, tail and brake lights all still worked, just the head lamp dead. Pull over and as I'm doing so the light flickers on for just a moment. Pull out the flashlight and use it to see where I need to fit my hand into to pull plug and bulb. That is when I decide that I don't really need to touch the melted mass that used to be the socket. Wiring still looks great, just that the socket has melted. Let things cool down a bit, pulled the plug and rode home slowly and carefully.

So now to the question: Where can I find a plug that won't melt on me and/or why did this one melt on me?

1995 Kat 600 running a 55/60 H4 bulb in the stock housing.

I'm not huge on wiring but I'll try my best to help. But first off how long was the light working? After you replaced the socket? the socket melting could be a number if things. Bad wires, grounds, or not wired properly not saying you didn't wire it up right but if you got it off the po and the socket had ben cut off chances are he's had trouble with it as well. I'd say best bet that there was nothing wrong with the socket itself and that you have a wiring issue you need to address either in the switch between dim and bright or in the harness itself. If someone else knows more than me please feel free to chime in because like I said I'm no expert on wiring hopefully this helps though

Comment

What kind of wattage was the socket rated for?
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        What kind of wattage was the socket rated for?
        +1, not watts but amps, what wattage is the bulb. More watts = more amps. Watts= volts * amps.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
        X