X

Gauges dont work, issue with signals and start switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauges dont work, issue with signals and start switch

So I bought my first bike the other day, it is a GSX-600F (Katana) really but it is ghetto rigged with GSXR fairings and a bunch of other stuff. Don't know why, its just how it bought it and was told it was a GSXR.

So a lot of things are ghetto about the bike but to start the turn signals don't work, the speedometer/tachometer/rpm gauge doesn't work and the start button doesn't work.

Gauges: so I don't have the normal gauge cluster it is from another bike or aftermarket I believe, but when its plugged in and the bike is on one of the turn arrows always stays lit up and the speedometer makes a bunch of weird signs but doesn't tell me how fast I go and the revs are just stuck at 2000 rpms and doest work either. Is this a wiring issue or maybe the gauges themselves?

Turn Signals: the turn signals don't work but everything else does that's on the same unit thing as them.

Start button: so I have the manually start it with a metal screwdriver from the starter relay because the button doesn't work. Everything else works on that unit too so idk if its wiring or the button itself.

I've replaced all the fuses I can find, like I said the bike is very ghetto and im new to bikes so Im not really sure what to be looking for. There are multiple connectors on the wiring harness that aren't plugged in or seem broken, and the headlights on it are from a GSXR so idk which wiring harness is being used.

Thanks for the help!
    2000 GSX-600F ghetto rigged with GSXR fairings - First Bike

Pics will help, but I would start with a gauge cluster from a 98 - 06 kat and see if everything works then.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

First, welcome to KR.

Second, it sounds like you bought someone elses problem.

Here's the thing about wiring, if someone from here can't lay hands on it, it's a guess on our part here on the forum.
      We can help to some extent, you will need to do all the hard stuff, like figure out where stuff goes.

Start by going to the Wiki, download the correct manual for bike and start looking at the wiring schematics. Chances are the PO did some wire chopping, you will need to straighten it out.
      It's best for you to have at least a 12v test light and a multi-meter for troubleshooting electrical issues.
      Start with the easy stuff (like the turn signals) if you're not familiar with electrical troubleshooting.
      You will need to figure out what works and what doesn't, with the gauges, they may be junk ya just never know when you inherit someones mess.

Good luck
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

^that...

Also....the connections on the wiring harness are ran to specific parts of the bike...try to break the bike down into the sections where the connections are. All the wires are colored, and most of the connectors will only plug in a certain way...so if you go through a "section" at a time, match the connections and wire colors, and have a copy of a schematic...you should be able to get it straightened out in no time. And since you're doing it by sections, you won't fry your brain...
        why.......do I not believe you?

Comment

Working...
        X