X

Gas tank gauge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank gauge

Well I finally got to the point where I can "turn on" the bike (not start) and my gas gauge doesn't move, even when I fish the float up to simulate gas in the tank it doesn't move at all.

What im looking for is the range of resistance for the sender so I can check that it works and is in range. If its bad then I guess ill get a new one but if its good then I can search the wires and the gauge its self.
    As far as I can see so far (without cranking the engine over) this is the only issue I have

Wiring on the right side @ the seat/ tank support. Measure your resistance with the float up and down, it will tell you if the sender is bad, no change or open = bad
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Sure, ill check tonight and see what readings I get. I still have no carbs/air box on the bike so its easy to get to the wires

Comment

FYI, the sender is always on the neg side of DC
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          FYI, the sender is always on the neg side of DC
          Ok, im just going to look at the resistance of the sender tonight and worry about where it goes depending on what I find.
          If the sender looks good its not going to be too hard to trace those two wires and find out whats wrong.

Comment

Found the info I needed in the FSM.
            Full: 1.0-5.0 ohms
            Half: Approx. 32.5 ohms
            Empty: 90-100 ohms
            This is for the 600

The 750 (for those wondering)
            Full: 4-10 ohms
            Half: Approx. 51 ohms
            Empty: 90-100 ohms

Comment

Well... I took the sender out of the tank and the wiper arm needed to be cleaned and the center wire coming from the sender was broke.
              A little cleaning and a new wire soldered on it works like brand new again.

Today im going to get the air tubes for the carbs and a plug for the air box drain and I should be good to go to install all that and try to crank it over.

Comment

Working...
              X