X

pulse generator check

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulse generator check

I have a question about checking resistance on the pulse generator coil. I read the manual on how to check it and its a bit confusing. It says to unplug the wire and test the coil side of the connector. Well the coil side to me is the pulse gen. side but that can't be because its unplugged and suppose to have zero resistance. So I checked the cdi side of the wire and it was about 40ohms off.

Now the manual says that if the wire looks good and the ohms are way off the pulse gen. is faulty. This makes no sense to me. How can the gen. be bad if the wire supplying it has inproper resistance? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Anyone? It's chapter 4 page 4 or 5. Under the category pulse generator coil its bullet 3 and 4.

Comment

Electronics are not my strong suit.... maybe Badfaerie can help you on that one.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hey black hawk. Sorry you are still have issues with your bike in in the same boat. You are supposed to check the resistance on the unplugged side of the bike (the signal generator. It should be something like 150 ohms I think. I know I did it on mine. You just have to make sure you are using the correct two wires in that 3 wire plug if I remember correctly

Comment

The pulse generator is a 2 connector plug on post 600 and 750s (probably pre's as well). Check for resistance on the pulse generator side across the two wires. Set your meter to 100 ohms and the reading should be 135 to 200ohms. Also check each wire to ground. It should be open (no continuity).

PS: Katana's don't have CDI boxes. They have Ignition Control Units also sometimes referred to as an Igniter Unit.

Comment

Thanks for feed back. So I get 0 ohm reading on the plug but if I wiggle the connector I can get a reading but it's low. So I'm thinking to buy a new pulse gen.

Anyone know what year generators will fit in a 02 600 kat?
            Last edited by blackhawk9; 11-04-2013, 08:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Primary resistance is tested across the input side of the coil pack, and secondary across the output side of the coil pack.

You should get some number above zero no matter what as I recall.

Then you should test it again with the coil pack hot.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Steve, he is testing the pulse generator coil.

Blackhawk, you are testing that with it disconnected, correct? Before replacing the pulse generator I would check out the connectors based on your statement that wiggling them changes your readings.

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
                  Steve, he is testing the pulse generator coil.

Blackhawk, you are testing that with it disconnected, correct? Before replacing the pulse generator I would check out the connectors based on your statement that wiggling them changes your readings.
                  Yes it's all disconnected. I could try splicing the wire and testing it that way. Also what year pulse gens. would work in a 02 600?

Comment

When checking things like that I try to check it from the back side (where the wire goes in) of the connector. It can be difficult to get to bare copper from the front side hence your comment of getting continuity when wiggling the connector.

As far as which year models I would suspect that any post 98 would work but you can go to this site and look at the parts diagrams and numbers to confirm.

Suzuki Parts & Accessories with FREE SHIPPING for motorcycles, ATVs, or scooters. Great customer service, great shipping!

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
                      When checking things like that I o check it from the back side (where the wire goes in) of the connector. It can be difficult to get to bare copper from the front side hence your comment of getting continuity when wiggling the connector.

As far as which year models I would suspect that any post 98 would work but you can go to this site and look at the parts diagrams and numbers to confirm.

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/
                      I probed it from the back and it was the same thing. I had move the probes around to get a reading.

Thanks for the link and help. It seems to be post 98 will work.

Comment

Mine has three .its an 05 could I see a pic of what yours looks like

What if u get a reading and it drops back to zero as soon as it hits 20
                        Last edited by Joestevens05750; 06-17-2016, 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

What reading are you getting. Tape a thin wire to your meter probs
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                          X