X

Clutch Wiring..?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Wiring..?

I re-wired my bike recently, & couldn't get it to start...I resolved that issue with the help of our great KR members, & have one final question:

After re-wiring the bike, I left the clutch wires un-hooked (on purpose) as part ofthe trouble shooting process...the bike DOES turn over, & I DO get spark to the plug wires...so here is my question: Will the bike still operate fine without having those wires hooked up...? Or is there some sort of safety switch that will keep the bike from going into gear, etc..? Thanks!!

I am waiting for my carbs to be cleaned, etc...so I cannot actually fire the bike up & take her out...I was just wonderin if it would operate fine, or if I need to go ahead & hook it up some other way to "by-pass" the clutch wiring...
    '94 GSX750F StreetFighter
    ***Under Con/(de)struction***

If it's the yellow/black wire pair at the clutch lever then yeah - it'll start and run just fine.

The PO disconnected it on my bike, I've seen no reason to reconnect it and it works ok for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
      If it's the yellow/black wire pair at the clutch lever then yeah - it'll start and run just fine.

The PO disconnected it on my bike, I've seen no reason to reconnect it and it works ok for me.

This is the Yellow/Green wire... mine is a 94 750...if yours is a post Kat maybe the wiring color is different...???

Comment

that could very well be the case. I've never worked on a Pre so I'm going to leave it to the guys who know them.

Comment

the clutch safety will only prevent it from starting if the clutch isn't used at startup, safety feature to prevent the bike from starting while in gear. If it's bypassed then it will start in gear or not, if it's not bypassed and unplugged the engine will not start, the kickstand safety will kill the engine if you try to move the bike while it's down.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Junker - that is the case with mine. If you press the starter and the engine is in gear and the killswitch is off, it will push forward, roll on and lift up the sidestand, kill the engine and collapse in a heap.

Ask my GF how she knows this lol

However, for me, I find it very beneficial to just park the bike in gear, and when I need to get going again just hit the starter. I pull the clutch in as a matter of course, always have done.

Comment

you can still do that with the switch engaged...your gf might love you a lot more too
              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

the kill switch is in the off position and it still attempts to start? verify your wiring. this is for your year.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Yeah there were some issues at the time with the sidestand plunger being gunked. This was over a year ago I used it as an example in some other thread. The engine kill switch has never been an issue.

Everything is back in spec apart from the clutch switch. I like keeping it that way.

Comment

Thanks for the replies gentlemen...am I the only one that notices you can NEVER get a "yes" or "no" direct answer on here...? The always has to be some sort of dialog that follows, & completely renders the answer/reply barely intelligible..? LOL

Q: will my bike run if...______?

A: if you circumvent the radial dial by bypassing the centrifugal compass by 13.5 volts, accompanied by equal pressure applied to the...blah blah blah...

Seriously...a simple "yes" "no" will work...lol. I love this forum...:bunny2

Comment

No, you don't need it connected.

It's purpose is to prevent a situation where the bike might lurch forward if you hit the starter in gear.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                        No, you don't need it connected.

It's purpose is to prevent a situation where the bike might lurch forward if you hit the starter in gear.

Lol. Thanks buddy. I appreciate it.

Comment

It's funny, because normally I get yelled at for giving straight, direct and no nonsense answers
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            It's funny, because normally I get yelled at for giving straight, direct and no nonsense answers

Hahaha!!! I actually prefer a direct answer, THEN, an explanation is ok...but a "circle-the-question" reply is one of the reasons NooBs on here ask SO many questions.
                            Andon the opposite end of the spectrum, of course, you have the NooB that WANTS to know "WHY?" like my 2 year old son...

"Don't touch that Eli."

"Why?"

"Because it'll burn you, son."

"Why?"

"Cause it's hot, Eli."

"Why?"

Comment

I answered your question.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X