X

88GSX1100 Alternator and oil leaks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88GSX1100 Alternator and oil leaks

Hi folks I was wondering is any of yas had experience with the vicissitudes of the later bikes that had traditional car like alternators.

I am in the process of researching a GSX1100 and knowing Suzuki's penchant for electrical failures I thought someone here might have insights and experience.

The owner says there is an oil leak and that it appears that oil is fouling the alternator. I have looked at the fiche as well as the OEM manual and there are two suspect locations. One is the o-ring for the starter housing where it interfaces with the engine case. Another is a large o-ring that seals the mating surface of the alternator to engine case.

SO this could be as simple as couple of o-rings provide the alternator is not shot due to arcing and dirt contamination ( does dino oil conduct electricity? )

From using the Zedder x-ref I have discovered that the same alternaotr had 35 applications so spares should not be a problem.
    Basically anyone that had a Katana or GSXR 88-92 had the same alternator.
    Insert Katana here.
    1985 GS550E

I would assume the owner is an idiot until proven otherwise and the alternator is probably ok. Also it's probably one of those orings leaking oil
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

I'm with 5forty2 on this one - a nice, easy fix

Engelskmannen.
      Carpe Jugulum...
      1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Originally posted by Engelskmannen View Post
        I'm with 5forty2 on this one - a nice, easy fix

Engelskmannen.
        Totally awesome link exactly what I was looking for.

I wonder if the mileage is legit.

Last edited by Jitterbug; 05-24-2013, 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Insert Katana here.
        1985 GS550E

Comment

hi jitterbug, did you fix the oil leak from the alternator. From my research there is a big O-ring. i am attempting to change it, any luck with getting the O-ring availability? and any insight you can share. For instance while i'm there, what other O-rings, seals, or gaskets should i change.
          loving the 88 Katana 1100

Comment

Working...
          X