X

Another LED Turn Signal question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another LED Turn Signal question

Ok. I've searched and searched and it didn't find an exact answer to my problem. Need info as to what could be the issue with my turn signals. Sometimes they flash, sometime they flash very weak.

Background: 98 Katana. I have the LED bulbs in the gauge cluster, intergrated brake and tail light, and halogen bulb rear turn signals. I've installed an LED flasher unit per Jaybell's and Astro's write up....fast blinking is not the problem.

My goal is to install new LED rear turn signals and also connect the integrated turn/tail light. Prior to this I either had the ITT hooked up or the Halogen stalk turn sigs hooked up but not both. And I want to add that both worked correctly w/no problems or issues.

This issue that I'm having is that when I connect the new stalks...it doesn't light up or barely light up at all.

Here is the checklist I performed/timeline:

Previous owner had Halo stalks connected with a foo foo crimp and/or electrical taped together.

I crimped and used solder crimp to splice up a connection for the wires and ITT and stalks.

Hooked up stalks...no flashing, nothing to the stalks...gauge cluster indicators hardly flash or is still.

checked again and gauge indicators flash but is off...sometimes the neutral light flashes in an opposite fashion to the indicator.

hooked up again and noticed flashing of dash indicators but again nothing to LEDs

hooked up old pair (halogen)...old pair begins to flash but not with the flash of the indicators.

hooked up LEDs no flash or little flash through the, I.e., not all the bulbs in the LEDs flashing. indicators not fully flashing, as in not bright.

Researched and the following day...hooked up LED lights straight to battery....every freaking bulb light up.

Oh and battery is fully charged.

Hooked up old stalks and they are flashing fine.

Hooked up ITT and it doesn't produce flash

HU LEDs only a few bulbs flash.

I then decided that it might be a bad connection from my splicing so I took it apart and connect the appropriate bare wires together via elect tape and still same issues.

What could be my problem? Bad ground? If so, how to check?

Bad relay? If so how to check?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by professa_riddler; 04-10-2013, 08:49 AM.
    -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
    sigpic

My question is what/what sort of relay are you using? It kinda sounds like problems caused by a thermal or a sketchy relay. It's not letting enough voltage through before switching off.
    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

The relay is the stock Denso relay....FE249JR....the flasher unit is :http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/787/842/

I think you're right Nancy...but at this point I just don't know.
      Last edited by professa_riddler; 04-10-2013, 02:07 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

bump
        sigpic

Comment

checked again last night...same issue... not sure what to do at this point.
          sigpic

Comment

Bring it to us
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Um, are you not tired of me coming through with bike issues???

I wish I could but I don't feel great about riding three hours away w/o turn signals. Not like drivers today know what hand signals mean

I want to note though that tail and brake light has constant power and is working correctly. I'll do one more check...I'll connect my front turn signal bulbs and see if that works. Then I'll connect the led stalks and the old stalks to the front and see if it works that way...can't think of anything else.
              sigpic

Comment

I would start by testing to see if you are getting power to the blinkers.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

With a multimeter? I might have to google this but I guess I have to turn the ignition on and then hook my leads to the +/- pins in the blinker harness. Thanks Steve. Sounds like a good start.

I'll (assume) that I have (limited) power as it started to blink but very lightly.

I really think it's time for a new bike. Every season I put the bike up for the winter and take it out it seems like one more thing fails.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, and Yes
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Not funny bro. I'm frustrated...freaking bike always giving me a headache
                      sigpic

Comment

Reading what you wrote again, it sounds like something has a short somewhere. + wire touching negative.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Ok. I'll trace and see if something is touching or eroded. A voltage/power check as discussed earlier wouldn't show that with the mulitmeter correct? I have to visually check that?
                          sigpic

Comment

Visually, yes. Or one of your crimp/solder connections is bad.
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks will check tonight
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X