X

94 Kat under 12 volts to coil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Kat under 12 volts to coil

my kat wouldn't start this spring (2013) the voltage was 8.6 to 9 volt with no spark i ran a wire from coil to battery and it started right up running like a scalded dog my question is is this common and where should i start looking for this kind of problem as this is my daily rider by the way i like these oil cooled models payed 250 bought a motor bay 300 and its running like a 1000cc any suggestion? thanks in advance.

wallyg

Originally posted by wallyg View Post
    my kat wouldn't start this spring (2013) the voltage was 8.6 to 9 volt with no spark i ran a wire from coil to battery and it started right up running like a scalded dog my question is is this common and where should i start looking for this kind of problem as this is my daily rider by the way i like these oil cooled models payed 250 bought a motor bay 300 and its running like a 1000cc any suggestion? thanks in advance.

wallyg

Common acutally.

You can track down trace down the wiring harness and verify where it's dropping voltage, or...

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What was your voltage at the battery? Is the problem in the wiring or the battery?
      Check your voltage at the battery with the ignition off (should be >12v) and while cranking (should stay over 11v). The question here is whether it's a major drop in voltage between the battery and the coils or if the drop happens at the battery.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thanks for the replys

in answer to the battery voltage question its 12.8 at the battery and with the jumper wire she fires up right then and after its running i can pull the jumper wire and it will remain running also with a battery charger hooked the the battery when its running i noticed the charger drops to 0 so i assume that the alternator is charging.

an answer to the other reply i noticed that the wire color at the coils 12 volt supply is orange dies anybody have a wiring diagram for a 94 gsx750fr it sure would make tracing down my problem a whole lot easier??

Comment

Look at the sticky at the top of the page. Shows wiring diagram for your bike.
          1991 Kat 600 Fightered
          2001 SV650 Naked
          2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Working...
          X