X

Bike died on Highway wont start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike died on Highway wont start

Yesturday I had just gotten on the highway and go up to speed, the bike died similarly to if the kickstand switch had been disengauged, It wouldnt start again so i had my dad bring my truck and ramp and brought her back home.

When we got it home, i checked the main fuse, obviously goo because i had lights and all, checked the ignition fuse and it was a well good, pulled the tank and hooked up a timing light to each plug wire individually, None of them showed spark? tested the coils with a test light and both are getting power.. the bike is a 1999 600, ive tried it with the petcock on every postition and nothing helps it cranks and cranks (turns over) but will not fire

any help or suggestions of where to start would be greatly appriciated

Pull one of the plugs and check to see if you're getting spark. (If it's wet right after cranking then the answer is probably going to be no but go ahead and ground the plug body and give it a crank while looking at the plug anyway.)
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Does the bike have points?

Comment

No points. These use an ignition control module which interrupts ground to the coils to do the same thing as points would. The signal to the ICM is generated by an induction pickup under the right side engine cover. (Look for a wire coming out from under the edge of the cover.) If that wire was cut or if the ICM has fried (not common) then you wouldn't get spark at the plugs.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

So, you checked the kickstand switch then to make sure it's okay?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yes I checked the kick stand switch, it's fine and wires are fine. Pulled plug#4 first and didn't see any spark, tried with #1 as well and no spark, going to try putting fresh plugs on and see what happens

Comment

Well the plugs didn't help

How do you test the coils?
              Last edited by Black_99_GSXF; 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The chance of 4 plugs / 2 coils croking simultaneously is pretty remote. I think you need to go back to where something controls all spark ... ie - wiring. Check connections to/from battery, ground, ICM, signal generator, safety switches, ignition, ignition switch ... And the really obvious - plenty of fuel, fuses and a good battery. I know you have checked a lot of this, but it would be worth checking again. Given you have power to the coils and the +ve side of the circuit seems to be OK, I would first be looking at grounds and those infernal safety switches.
                Last edited by TRPUT; 10-15-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

If it died suddenly, I would be more likely to suspect a problem with the kill switch/side stand safety.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ok what about the relay next to the fuses under the seat how do you make sure that's good?

The side stand safety is good checked and rechecked and the bike is in N when I'm trying to start it do it should make a difference anyways

Also checked the kill switch, flipped it on and off while holding the starter button and it works like its supposed to..?
                    Last edited by Black_99_GSXF; 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Black_99_GSXF View Post
                      Well the plugs didn't help

How do you test the coils?
                      Left coil does #1 and #4........right does #2and #3.....swap them over and see what happens. They're inter-changeable.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Ok so I've pulled plug 2 now as well and not getting spark from it either..? Any more suggestions?

Comment

well i figured it out! one of the screws inside the cover fell out and rotated breaking one of the teeth off, and also obviously bending the sensor, ,luckily my buddy has the parts and i will be getting them from him soon!

Comment

Use some loctite on the screw threads when you reassemble dude!
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah will do! Just sucks there was no way to know about this before it happened!

Comment

Working...
                              X