X

No electric

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No electric

I just replaced the starter motor on my 03 kat and attempted to turn the bike over with no success. I was charging the battery with a trickle charger at 12v but nothing came on, no lights nothing. I tried jump starting the bike but again nothing. I had previously suspected the starter as the bike failed to turn over even with a full charge. The battery I've got in the bike is a little over one year old, its a liquid battery and has been drained several times. I'm thinking its time for a new battery, but I 'm thinking the problem is a little more complex than simply getting a new battery. Any suggestions on what could be the cause.

What did you remove and haven't yet reconnected? battery wire? starter wire? check fuses? test battery with a meter to make sure it has power?....hope you find the answer!
    I'm outa here

Comment

I've reconnected everything and we tested the battery with a multimeter. When we were testing the battery without the key turned over it was giving out about 11-12v, but with the key turned over it was dropping down to 0.6 then spiking to 16v.

Comment

Sounds like a bad battery to me...
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
          Sounds like a bad battery to me...
          Jims usually on the ball so i agree!

Just a thought but usually better to test a battery with a load tester like they use on cars as a volt meter will draw almost no current ,where two 55watt bulbs will (110watt/12v=9 amps) will cause a load and then test with a meter while under load.....if you get my drift...
          Last edited by ManQu; 09-19-2012, 05:07 AM.
          I'm outa here

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately we don't have one. But thanks for the advice, most people I've been talking to were saying it was probably a bad battery. At first that wasn't what I was thinking it was because I had the battery trickle charging for a few hours but nothing had happened. However the clock on the bike would be on when the key was in the "off" position and then it would fade out as the key was turned to the "on" position. I'm making an educated guess based on past history with worn out batteries and my little electrical knowledge that this is likely due to the little charge it has going to trying to turn the engine over. But thanks for the advice guys, now time to replace the battery put this bad boy up on craigslist and get the gixxer I've been eyeballing.

Comment

Originally posted by judstirber View Post
              ... However the clock on the bike would be on when the key was in the "off" position and then it would fade out as the key was turned to the "on" position...
              There is solution:
              Originally posted by TOPOnyHbKO View Post
              I guess that the horn and turn signals also do not work. Looks like you lost ground. Check the connector between "-" of battery and black/white wire.
              Originally posted by SmashingBull View Post
              i found my problem, it was the connector between the negative pole and the black and white wire. it just needed to be pushed together, and well then i could drive again
              If you can not make it beautifully, make it durable.

Comment

Ignition on and hit the main beam and there you have 110watt 9 amp load.If nothing happens then you will know to start at the battery and work through
                I'm outa here

Comment

Working...
                X