Installing an Acewell 2853 (Post 600)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an Acewell 2853 (Post 600)

Hey guys!

I have been searching and searching trying to find a definitive answer on this and Im not having much luck. Ive got my Acewell 2853 all wired up except for the tach and the speedo.

Here's where I am currently:

Tach
    I removed the stock cluster and tied as much of the Acewell harness in to the stock harness as I could. From what Ive read, the RPM signal for the stock tach should be the black wire with a yellow stripe. I connected that to the yellow wire on the Acewell for its RPM signal but I got no reading on the gauge. To solve this, Im going to try to tap the signal from the wire between the CDI and the ignition coil. I know the wire color is posted in another thread on here but I cant remember where I saw it and Im having a hard time finding it. It was an orange or red wire with a black stripe, I think... Can anyone clear this up for me, please?

Speedo
    There were two wires for the speedo to the stock cluster if Im reading things correctly. One should be orange with a red stripe and the other is pink (One is positive and one is negative, I think). Now, I do have a Hall type sensor they gave me to use for the speedo, but Id rather use the stock wiring, if possible, and save myself the headache of mounting the receiver for the Hall sensor and mounting the magnet on the rotor. For this, I cut the connector off of the receiver for the Hall sensor (it has a black and red wire, Im assuming power/ground). Logic told me that I should be able to hook up the red/black wires to the pink/orange w/red stripe wires... but logic failed me. Haha.

Anyone have any ideas? I would very much appreciate any assistance!

Bump. Surely someone here has tackled something similar before. Ive seen threads of people doing similar things, there is just no info on HOW they actually hooked the wires up.

Comment

I'd suggest starting in the streetfighters forum

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

mreedohio and thazkat both have done work with gauges, as well as Black_peter who isn't around so often.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

for the tacho input off the coils you will need to wire two diodes coming from each coil -v also depending on how it work you may need a 12v or 5v pull up resistor. This is like how the efi swapped worked on this forum, currently i am working on a conditioner to trigger a megasquirt from the stock vr sensor right now, testing it today.

for the speedo im lost what is the other end hall sensor hooked to, if it the Acewell 2853 then those wires are looking for an input in the shape of a square wave, they will not drive a speedo, but you speedo should be uneffected by all this it should come straight from the senor built into the bike and have nothing to do with ignition, what most likely happened if you lost the speedo is you arent powering the sensor on the bike. this is assuming your on a post, pre is mechanical speedo
        Last edited by blitz2190; 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM.
        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
        Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
        confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          I'd suggest starting in the streetfighters forum
          Thanks for the reply! Ive been reading a lot in there. Some really cool projects but nothing that covers the info that Ive been looking for, specifically. The dude that built his own LED gauges did some amazing work with that! I wish I had that know how with electronics.

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
          for the tacho input off the coils you will need to wire two diodes coming from each coil -v also depending on how it work you may need a 12v or 5v pull up resistor. This is like how the efi swapped worked on this forum, currently i am working on a conditioner to trigger a megasquirt from the stock vr sensor right now, testing it today.

for the speedo im lost what is the other end hall sensor hooked to, if it the Acewell 2853 then those wires are looking for an input in the shape of a square wave, they will not drive a speedo, but you speedo should be uneffected by all this it should come straight from the senor built into the bike and have nothing to do with ignition, what most likely happened if you lost the speedo is you arent powering the sensor on the bike. this is assuming your on a post, pre is mechanical speedo
          The Acewell wiring instructions arent really that clear. Here are the Acewell instructions:

For the speedo, I dont have the Hall sensor hooked up. I just cut the connector off of the sensor to hook the Acewell in to the factory harness. So its connected like this:

Comment

for tach look at the cdi trigger here

substitute ms with your acewell (connected to ground on coils), for the speedo are your any good with electronics? depending on the signal the pickup generates, (i wanna say vr but have no clue) you could make it trigger a 555 which would give the speed the square wave its looking for from the hall effect. if its a vr signal look up simple sine to square wave 55 timer, if that all means nothing to you then best use the magnets and the sensor possibly jbweld
            Last edited by blitz2190; 08-02-2012, 10:49 PM.
            never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
            Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
            confused katana build

Comment

Working...
            X