No announcement yet.
X

doing the coil relay mod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFsfP0bzfqU"]Gsx750f streetfighter project update - YouTube[/ame]

the vid is an update on my fighter builds progress
    near the end of the vid i start the bike .... yes i know i still need to tidey the wire away lol

it used to crank over 20 times and need full choke to start it .

the relay mod has transformed my bike ........havent been this happy since i bought it

Comment

Originally posted by fireyphoenix1989 View Post

whats wrong with the negative being under the coil mount ? i get a good strong earth there and my bike doesn't have the two M6 bolt holes between the coils :/ i checked its just a hole drilled in the metal .
      Like I said, I'm OCD. I just like the coils sitting flat and flush as intended. It's not much considering the free play in the spacers etc, but having the coil raised at one end adds stress to the mountings. The earth connected under the bolt head would be better. On my pre, I drilled and tapped a point in about the same place as in that photo on the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        The OEM wiring harness design utilizes a multi connection pathing for power from the battery that is shared by multiple sources. Simply put... the power provided to the coils has multiple connections and is shared with other sources such as the head light.

On a brand new bike... with new connections, new wires, and a good battery... there is no real issue.

On older bikes, the wire degrades based upon element exposure and age increasing resistance. The connections become corroded for the same reason, or due to vibration. Batteries as they age and are used will have a decrease in performance and output.

While no single point may be bad enough to cause a focus of failure, multiple points of degradation can lead to issues with starting from the battery.

The relay mod by passes the dozens of connections, removes the shared power aspect with other components, and simplifies the power output to the coils so that your always provided with the best spark possible due to having the strongest battery output possible.

Krey

Yo this Kat knows what he's talking about..
        A hero need not speak, for when he is gone the world will speak for him.

Comment

Nice explanation Krey. I have not done this mod yet and I am super curious to see how it affects my ride. Who knows maybe it will liven it up some. LoL, I know I know there is not a lot of livening up you can do with a Kat. As Arsenic says if you want more power buy a better bike.

Comment

Originally posted by creepinghunter View Post
            Nice explanation Krey. I have not done this mod yet and I am super curious to see how it affects my ride. Who knows maybe it will liven it up some. LoL, I know I know there is not a lot of livening up you can do with a Kat. As Arsenic says if you want more power buy a better bike.
            the only "living up" this will do is make it start easier, and maybe keep your battery alive a little longer (less draw on the batter/charging system)

im afraid you will have to find a different mod to do to make more power if that's what you mean/want
            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Yes but a more complete burn if the coils are not getting proper power to properly ignite the air fuel mixture will help in all aspects.
              It would be like for instance taking a 30k volt coil and changing to a 50k volt coil. It should give you more complete burn. Unless the problem is simply when cranking and once cranking is over it is getting the correct voltage. But yes I hear what you are saying I mean more so in the starting just overall running f that makes sense.

Comment

Sorry to jump on thread. I'm having same issue... I'm wanting to buy Ignition coils from a 2000 kat and put on 88 kat... I think it should work because the ohms are in the same range but I'm not too knowledgeable...

Comment

Buy a good relay because the one i bought would cut out when it got really hot under the tank. Plus the 107* heat in the area didnt help. Bypassed it and worked fine again. Gonna have to find me a good one.
                  Crash
                  "Peace is the glorious moment in time when everyone is reloading"

Comment

Working...
                  X