Sticky/High Idling Throttle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky/High Idling Throttle

Hey guys, first post here...

I'm about 2 weeks into being a new bike owner, and I still have never ridden a bike either so assume I know very little.

About the bike:
    I have a '93 katana with (according to the guy I bought it from) a '06 engine. It has 12K miles on it and some problems for sure.

The Problem:
    So today I went to run it up and down my driveway, get used to clutching and starting, and the bike idled super low. I had the fuel switch to PRI for priming purposes -- but I changed it to the regular FUEL later and had the same problem. I adjusted the throttle cable a little and got waayyyy more rpms, idling around 5000 instead of 500. I tweaked it JUST a bit and found the sweet spot around 2000.
    When I started riding (in 1st gear) I slowly released clutch and slowly throttled, and my RPMs shot up to 6-7,000! I kept cluth in, killed the engine and started it again. This time still in Neutral I started it up, gave the throttle a little twist and it idled all the way up and stayed stuck on 6,000 RPM for about 8 seconds until I killed the engine again.

So what's up, bad cable? Bad carbs? Throttle itself need lubing? It doesn't stick exactly, but it doesn't snap back very fast after I twist it. And my final question - if I buy a new cable or throttle, should I be buying a 93 version or a 06 version?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to getting out there on the street! (safely!)

Sounds like your running way too lean, clean and sinc your carbs. Use katana wiki to download carb manual for your carb type. Tp sensor on your rite most carb -post carbs
    no sensor pre carbs. carb 102 is for post carb 101 is for pre. pre being prior to 98.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome from Ohio...you are at the right place to get your bike running well.

Comment

Adjust throttle cable for about 1/4" of free play at the twist grip. Lube the cables! Odds are good you don't need new ones, just need to lube the old ones. Don't use the throttle cable to adjust your idle, that's what the black knob on the left hand side of the carbs is for. Properly adjust and lube your cables, then we can move on to other issues if that doesn't fix it.

Comment

^ +1

and adjust/set your idle when she's good and warm.
          2004 GSX750F

Comment

One more thing I forgot to mention....this belongs in the Mechanics 101 section, not wiring and electronics....

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the advice fellas!

Comment

Working...
              X