X

Batteries Dying

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries Dying

Okay, so I got my bike about a year & a half ago. I bought a brand new cheapo battery for $50 when I got it. It died in about a year. It was frustrating because if the bike did not fire up in the first 10 seconds or so it would drain the battery trying to start.

SO I bought a new Yuasa battery for the bike. Anyway, after about 5 months, this battery is acting up and doing the same thing. The battery has been AWESOME up till now. Now I have had to push start my bike a few times because the battery drains trying to start. Also, I have a Yuasa Battery tender that I plug the bike into every night. In addition, I drive this bike every day, so it should not be draining the battery.

WHen the bike idles, the gauges & headlights are extremely dim, and they blink with the bikes idling & flashers.

ANy suggestions? I am getting the feeling I am having an electrical problem somewhere but have no clue where it could be.
    1998 Katana 600
    sigpic

Check battery voltage at idle, then check it while running. Post here what you find.

Also, your Kat shouldn't be that hard to start, but this may be due to low voltage. I suspect the regulator is going out, and draining your battery, but it's hard to say.

Comment

Um, isn't running & idle the same thing?
      1998 Katana 600
      sigpic

Comment

Voltage at idle doesn't mean anything. You want the voltage at, um, I forget the exact number, 4k,5k, 6k RPM, somewhere in there. Sounds like you are either over charging and frying the battery or undercharging.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorOfChaos View Post
          Um, isn't running & idle the same thing?
          I meant with the engine off, and the engine running. Sorry.

Comment

Just from personal experience, and I'm not a mechanic, I found out that nothing was worse for my battery than short jaunts around town. Tenders are only so good as the battery is.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

with a multi meter you should see 13.9 - 14.5 volts with a few rpms . If it shows more the reg. is bad ,less it could be the alt.

Comment

k, At idle it's at 13v, at 3k rpm its at 14v.

THoughts? This is supposed to be a top of the line battery. Putting it on the battery tender every night should not effect the battery negatively. It has a full charge shutoff.
                1998 Katana 600
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorOfChaos View Post
                  k, At idle it's at 13v, at 3k rpm its at 14v.

THoughts? This is supposed to be a top of the line battery. Putting it on the battery tender every night should not effect the battery negatively. It has a full charge shutoff.
                  Actually, overcharging the battery can in fact kill them just as fast as letting them go dead. I wouldn't put it on the tender unless it's going to sit for a couple weeks or more. What kind of tender is it?

Comment

What if it is not the battery? What if it is the generator?

I would perform this test.
                    Start the bike as normal, disconnect the positive on the battery. Hopefully the bike will still run (it should still run because your generator located in your transmission is generating spark which keeps the engine running). If the bike dies after the battery is disconnected then you know the issue is with the generator. & therefore not generating charge to your battery.

I have a neighbor said to me one day saying Suzuki are known for their bad generators.

Comment

Originally posted by angipp01 View Post
                      Don't have generators, have alternators.

When they go bad, they won't usually show as much voltage as was mentioned earlier.

When the regulator goes bad, they will overcharge the battery, check the voltage at the battery at 6000+ RPM.

When the rectifier goes bad, it will try to charge the battery with AC. Set your meter to AC, and check voltage. Much more than a volt of AC is cause for concern.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by angipp01 View Post

I would perform this test.
                        Start the bike as normal, disconnect the positive on the battery. Hopefully the bike will still run (it should still run because your generator located in your transmission is generating spark which keeps the engine running). If the bike dies after the battery is disconnected then you know the issue is with the generator. & therefore not generating charge to your battery.

I have a neighbor said to me one day saying Suzuki are known for their bad generators.
                        This is not a good idea. Running your bike with the battery disconnected is a good way to kill your regulator. The Alternator is putting out 14 volts, which is actually just fine.

Comment

It turned out to be a loose wire. And my tender is a Yuasa.
                          1998 Katana 600
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X