X

Blinkers stay on constant with fender eliminator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blinkers stay on constant with fender eliminator

Hello all. New to this forum. Im a pretty handy guy, and installed a fender eliminator on my 90 Katana 600 today.

Prior to this, my blinker worked properly. Now, the blinkers just stay on constant, as if a blinker is out. All the light work (as in turn on) which is usually the reason for the other blinkers to stay on constant, so it isnt that. I also checked my wiring back and forth to check other wiring options.

I also rehooked up the old plate light with the new signals to eliminate that option.

I cant seem to figure out why the lights would be staying on constant. Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks,
    Jesse Schmid

Mine do that each time I remove the plastics. On one occasion I had hooked the front right blinker to two spare wires that hang up front. Once I got them back to the correct wires I was good to go. The other times were simply a matter of playing with those pain in the butt connectors until I got a solid connection. Then they worked just fine. Just dealt with this issue Tues night. Thinking about putting more user friendly connectors on.

Comment

I feel as though I have solid connections. Im confused as to what you mean by the 2 spare wires up front, and how connecting to them would help.

I'm reading other threads and it seems that some people recommend additional resistors when dealing with LED turn signals (IDK if I mentioned they are LED). Any idea what size resistors? and would I just wire them right in series with the signals?

Comment

Try taking some sandpaper to the connectors to clean the corrosion off and then squirt a little dielectric grease in there to keep it from coming back.

Of course that won't do you any good at all if you're connected to the wrong wires...

Originally posted by jdschmid View Post
        ...(IDK if I mentioned they are LED). Any idea what size resistors? and would I just wire them right in series with the signals?
        Replace your flasher relay with a heavy duty relay from Autozone. The standard relays rely on resistance to set the flash rate.
        Last edited by Wild-Bill; 05-20-2011, 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Will the heavy duty flasher relay be a direct plug in replacement of the stock one? Where is the flasher relay located on the bike anyway?

I only bought the bike 3 weeks ago. I really need to get a manual for this thing.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Yes, my connections" seemed" solid as well, but after pulling apart and reconnecting several times I was able to get the blink back. The fact that they work by resistance makes sense. I'm not sure what the other two free connectors are meant for on my bike, but they are really close to the blinker leads. Mine are not LED, but I'm betting the issue is the same since I've encountered it three times now. Try the cleaning Wild-Bill suggested. You'll probably find that you'll work it out.

Comment

The other two connectors are aux power. They're unused on a pre-Kat but really nice for hooking up power to a relay for heated grips or whatever.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by jdschmid View Post
                Will the heavy duty flasher relay be a direct plug in replacement of the stock one? Where is the flasher relay located on the bike anyway?

I only bought the bike 3 weeks ago. I really need to get a manual for this thing.

Thanks in advance

Not a direct fit, but easy to make work with no changes to your harness.

Make a "bridge" connection. 2 wires... 1 end of them put simple female spade connectors to plug onto the flasher relay. The other end you make to fit in the connector plug that the regular relay plugs into. Make it as long as you need to mount the flasher somewhere you feel comfortable.

The OEM flasher is located under the airbox in a pain in the !@#$ to get to spot, and an OEM flasher is around $40+ to replace. The Napa flasher is under $3 and works better. A wire zip was used to mount it to the frame in a simple location easy to access later.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Cool. I'll probably use those leads for a cig lighter for radar detector. Either that or add some LEDlighting. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tdecker View Post
                    Cool. I'll probably use those leads for a cig lighter for radar detector. Either that or add some LEDlighting. Thanks.
                    I used mine for leds.
                    The difference is the brown and black wires are part of the running light circuit and when you lock the bike in park it comes on too, not good for heated grips.
                    1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                    1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                    Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Any Fl. Riders out there know the law for blue LED'S here? I've found two different opinions on-line. Statute talks about no vehicle "displaying blue or red lights." I just want to light the motor up, in which case you would not actually see the LED bulbs. Thanks for any feedback I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Not a direct fit, but easy to make work with no changes to your harness.

Make a "bridge" connection. 2 wires... 1 end of them put simple female spade connectors to plug onto the flasher relay. The other end you make to fit in the connector plug that the regular relay plugs into. Make it as long as you need to mount the flasher somewhere you feel comfortable.

The OEM flasher is located under the airbox in a pain in the !@#$ to get to spot, and an OEM flasher is around $40+ to replace. The Napa flasher is under $3 and works better. A wire zip was used to mount it to the frame in a simple location easy to access later.

Krey

So I have a Clymer manual now, but nowhere in it does it say anything about the flasher relay. Not how to change it, nor where to find it. I took the seat off to see if I could see anything. Is the flasher relay the black unit that says "NIPPONDENSO"? Or is it near that? I found that right in front of the battery, you could say under it.

Kreylyn, how did you access it? or could you somehow provide a more detailed description of where it is? Thanks

My manual says in order to access the air filter box, you have to remove the gas tank. Will I need to remove the gas tank to access the flasher?
                        Last edited by jdschmid; 05-21-2011, 06:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Clymer

I looked in the Clymer for my 1990 750 and it shows the relay, but don't know about the 600.

I looked in the Index under "Relays" and it showed "Turn Signal Relay"
                          Last edited by tdecker; 05-21-2011, 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                          X