X

98+ Alternator wiring for pre 600f

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ Alternator wiring for pre 600f

I was given a alternator from my brothers friend, and need to know how i would wire it up to my bike since mine does not work.

Originally posted by 96Kat75085 View Post
    I was given a alternator from my brothers friend, and need to know how i would wire it up to my bike since mine does not work.

Without the plug off the Post wiring harness, your going to have a difficult time making a cross over harness.

The post uses a plug on the alt. and the post harness has integrated the leads to plug into it on the side, with the right plug.

The pre kat alt. has long leads attatched internally to the alt, and a different type connector on it. You plug those leads into the wiring harness up near the battery.

If you cut off the leads on your old alt (if your sure 100% it's bad) then you just need to match up a plug to put on the end you cut to plug into the new alt.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I thought the part # was the same pre and post? No?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Without the plug off the Post wiring harness, your going to have a difficult time making a cross over harness.

The post uses a plug on the alt. and the post harness has integrated the leads to plug into it on the side, with the right plug.

The pre kat alt. has long leads attatched internally to the alt, and a different type connector on it. You plug those leads into the wiring harness up near the battery.

If you cut off the leads on your old alt (if your sure 100% it's bad) then you just need to match up a plug to put on the end you cut to plug into the new alt.

Krey
        It has the plug...

I assume its bad.... i can get the bike running and disconnect battery and the bike will die.
        Last edited by 96Kat75085; 05-16-2011, 08:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well... you should check voltages there... you shouldn't disconnect the battery while the bike is running....
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            I thought the part # was the same pre and post? No?
            I don't think so, the wiring is definately different in how it works. Post plugs into the alt, pre alt has leads and a plug that you connect to the harness. Just swapped out a post 600 motor into a pre frame, and that was the one thing I had to change out (alt.) so not to do any wiring alternatives.

The alts will swap between the motors no problem though, the mounting points and gear is the same.

Originally posted by 96Kat75085 View Post
            It has the plug...

I assume its bad.... i can get the bike running and disconnect battery and the bike will die.

Don't assume it's bad unless it's been tested. Someone is bound to have a volt meter for you to use to do a real test on the alt. If not, see if the local auto shops can test it (it being a gear drive might be a problem, but I don't know... )

It is possible it's something else, but a test would help confirm.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              I don't think so, the wiring is definately different in how it works. Post plugs into the alt, pre alt has leads and a plug that you connect to the harness. Just swapped out a post 600 motor into a pre frame, and that was the one thing I had to change out (alt.) so not to do any wiring alternatives.

The alts will swap between the motors no problem though, the mounting points and gear is the same.

Don't assume it's bad unless it's been tested. Someone is bound to have a volt meter for you to use to do a real test on the alt. If not, see if the local auto shops can test it (it being a gear drive might be a problem, but I don't know... )

It is possible it's something else, but a test would help confirm.

Krey

I am limited on funds so i cant have it tested... I have spent 100.00 thus far trying to get it running right. Had electrical problems and check all the wires and repaired some....every time i would hook up the alt wire it would short out main fuse...took the alt apart and cleaned it. placed back in bike and no more short but alt not putting out. Bike runs as long as battery if fully charged...the it drains will bike runs.

Comment

Working...
              X