X

Dead Battery + what else??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Battery + what else??

OK. I am mechanically challenged but still ride. Here's the story. Last year bike didnt start, but was turning over. Coasted down the driveway and headed out. Figured dead battery would charge during my ride, no biggie. Got about 30 miles from home and she started hesitating, then clock went out, then bike shuts off. Oh well, got her home, bought new battery and rode the rest of the season with no issues.

Put it on the trickle charger this winter and went to start this weekend and nothing. Clock was holding time, but doesnt turn over and it shut the clock off.

As I said, no tools, mechanically challenged. I have 2 ideas. Get it up to Martin and pay them to diagnose. Or see if someone here local to Pottstown wants to make some side money? All ideas welcome.

Thanks
    '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
    ME.

Make sure the battery terminals are tight.

Invest in a multi-meter and check the voltages.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Charging system?
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Garbage battery and charger

I bought a cheap Harbour freight float charger , it cost me a 1 season old wet battery on top of its cost
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
          Garbage battery and charger

I bought a cheap Harbour freight float charger , it cost me a 1 season old wet battery on top of its cost
          I think the charger is good as I've used it on other things and works great. Never a problem. I think it is the bike sucking down batteries. I put a cheap battery in last season and think between that and the bike, I just paid the price.
          '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
          ME.

Comment

Could be bad parts in the generator need a multi meter to figure out what's going on.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I discovered the Wal-Mart Duralast batteries lasted 1-2 years at best. The only good thing about them (other than the price) was the warranty. A lot of the time they'd die before the warranty ran out. A Yuasa can go 4-5 years. That's without a trickle charger over the winter, just using a regular 2 Amp charger every month or two.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll start there with the multimeter and I'm going Yuasa this time. I'll let you know what I find.
                '04 600 GSXF

ME.

Comment

A cheap DMM (digital multimeter) is only about 10-15 bucks. You'll be amazed at the information you can get from such a simple device. Set it to DC, and the range to like 10-100.

With the bike running, and the throttle up around 4k, you should be seeing around 13v DC.
                  At idle closer to 12.5v. If the voltages drop when running, or are really high then it's a generator problem.

If they check out, it's a cheap battery problem
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

The charging system should be regulated to cap at 14.5v. If you see more than that on the system while running at any rpm, you have a regulator issue. To fix, it's replace the alternator (as it's integrated).

Over charging (higher than 14.5) can ruin a battery quick as it will boil out the fluid in it and/or over heat the wiring harness and cause issues.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                    X