Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

is there anyone who can help me out with my problem???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there anyone who can help me out with my problem???

i have a 95 750 and im looking to buy new coils but i have noticed they sell some without the sparkplug wires attached is there a way you can attach the wires back to a coil?????

depends on the coil.. some have clips that hold the wire on like out stock units.. some have a screw cap that holds it on.. it just depends.. a pic or a link my help with an answer
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

its the regular stock coils from the bike my reason for buying new ones was i didnt realize they could be attached back together
      Last edited by MJD37; 02-20-2011, 12:00 AM.

Comment

My 93 750 Katana project bike has the original coils and the wires are held into the coil by a clip. Your 95 should also have the same type coil I suspect. As GSXFJim advised different coils will have different type of wire mounting systems.
        If your present coils are no longer working and you are buying replacement units you may as well get new wires along with with your new coils.

Comment

Originally posted by jetta90 View Post
          My 93 750 Katana project bike has the original coils and the wires are held into the coil by a clip. Your 95 should also have the same type coil I suspect. As GSXFJim advised different coils will have different type of wire mounting systems.
          If your present coils are no longer working and you are buying replacement units you may as well get new wires along with with your new coils.
          +1 the wires can fray and deteriorate from plug changes and age, causing misfires, idle problems, and fouled plugs when they go. its no fun in mid-ride either
          1989 Katana GSX750F
          1995 CB250 Nighthawk
          2004 YFZ-R6 (track bike)

Comment

Tools:
            Hair Drier
            Small screw drivers
            Needle nose pliers.
            Good wire cutters
            Ruler
            Time

The coils:
            The spark plug wire pushes onto a "nail" inside the coil.
            The clip has a taper, as it squeezes into the coil housing it clamps the wire, then the clips hold it there. The clips are delicate to begin with, after 15-20 years or more they are dry and waiting to break.

Procedure:
            If it were me I would snip the wires close to the clip. The wires are probably oxidized and the insulation loose from the conductors. So trimming them would be in order anyway. Best thing to use are scissor type cutters where the blades cross not anvil type blade against blade. Now it doesn't matter what wire goes into the two ports of the coil but very important what pair goes to what coil.. So one at a time is good.

OK so warm up the parts to soften them a little, and ease the clips off the tabs.
            then ease the wires and clips together out of the port.

Now ease the clips open and take them off the wire bits.

Measure the distance from the end of the old wire bit to the indent made by the clip.
            The clip makes a tooth shape, so there is an end point (it will make sense when you see it)

Measure that on the clean end of the wire and place the clip there, squeeze the clip with the pliers to "pre" indent the wire. again, warm things up might help..

Now with your new coils you should be able to push the wires in. Push on the "neck" not the clips. Easing the wire deeper until the clips are secure.

The measuring is important because if you do it right, the wire is full on the nail when the clips engage.

Easy peasy

If you break a clip, oh well, most likely the wedge will hold the wire anyway.
            Mine do.. lol

Oh, spark plug end...

The wire simply unscrews, on this end it's held like a wood screw. Jeez nails, screws who designed the ignition system a carpenter? lol

When you reassemble the spark plug end you might want to separate the parts. There is a hood the body, then the "rain cover. Or use some silicon to lube the parts, you want to be sure the screw is grabbing the wire not the other parts. Trim these too.
            Last edited by Black_peter; 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              The wire simply unscrews, on this end it's held like a wood screw. Jeez nails, screws who designed the ignition system a carpenter? lol
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X