X

Its all hacked

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its all hacked

OK, so i picked up my First Bike and My first Kat all in one. I know good choice right. I traded a cd player and a 1st gen ipod nano 2GB for it. Well what was in the gas tank was far from gas. Also there had been some cut wires. I know one set went to the headlight. The other set was clutch switch or something like that. Now we got the fuse box cut off. So all in all I'm tryin to figure a way to rig it up to start. Any ideas? Also should i be letting this header and exhaust go for 60?

also does anyone know how to hook up the petcock. IT was not hooked up when i got the bike
    Last edited by g_bay; 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Buy a used wiring harness instead of continuing to hack up the old one.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      Buy a used wiring harness instead of continuing to hack up the old one.
      My opinion would be the opposite, if all you have is cut wires. If connectors are missing, then a new/used harness is the way to go. However, with a decent solder gun, heat shrink tubing, and some time - you can rebuild the harness pretty easily. I'm doing the same now on some hacked wires that were gummed together with old electrical tape. Best is the hot line into the circuit break - PO had used a wire connector like you'd use for a light bulb in your house. NIIIIIICE!

I got a solder gun at HF for around $10, works great. They had a sale on the "helping hands" type of gadget (alligator clamps, maginfying lens, etc) for $2, had to pick that up at that price.

There is a great "how-to" video posted by Moss Motors (www.mossmotors.com) on youtube that can give you pointers.

Again, this advice is really only helpful if you've got a complete harness, not missing connectors.

Good luck!
      1988 GSX1100F - moving under its own power! Final assembly, carb balancing, etc.

Getting closer!!!

Comment

True, I'm assuming the connectors are mostly missing
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The problem with a hacked harness isn't the problems you can see, it's the ones that you can't.

It would suck spending hours to repair the old harness, only to have to troubleshoot more gremlins out of it.

The price of a used harness shouldn't be that big compared to the time investment in tracing the entire existing harness.

In this case, i would replace over repair.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've never attempted anything like this, but a new or "good" used harness will enable you to sort everything out and also diminish the chances of wires shorting out down the line.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

well i guess u shouldn't have cut the fuse box off of it, and dont blame it on me! lol other than that, I have no useful information
              Last edited by jeremy_nash; 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM. Reason: improper syntax
              89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

If you're able to find a good used harness for not very much you will be better off just replacing it. You just don't know what other electrical gremlins are lurking in the one you have now.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. Decided to go an even better route. I picked up an 89 kat 1100. Easily a better start than the 750 due to the fact it has a title lol. Alls it rele needs is some cosmetics and a complete motor and tranny. So if anyone could help this would be great but also funds are tight. Id have to say i got the bike for an awesome deal. Dude was skin 400 i tried trading it was a no go. He then asked if i could pay 150 i said no. Then told him i could do 100 and he even delivered. SWEET. Ill get pix up soon. Thinkin about actually doin a build thread.

Comment

Originally posted by g_bay View Post
                    Thanks for the ideas guys. Decided to go an even better route. I picked up an 89 kat 1100. Easily a better start than the 750 due to the fact it has a title lol. Alls it rele needs is some cosmetics and a complete motor and tranny. So if anyone could help this would be great but also funds are tight. Id have to say i got the bike for an awesome deal. Dude was skin 400 i tried trading it was a no go. He then asked if i could pay 150 i said no. Then told him i could do 100 and he even delivered. SWEET. Ill get pix up soon. Thinkin about actually doin a build thread.

So you got a 750 with no title and bummed harness, and a 1100 with no engine?

Well, the cheap side is put the 750 motor in the 1100 then have a running bike.

An 1100 motor isn't going to be a cheap find generally. Avg price is probably $1200 for the motor alone in good working order and complete.

If your not going to use the 750 motor in the 1100, what are your plans for it?

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

well I already got rid of the 750 made good profit off of it. I have found 2 motors sofar 750 and 650 plus shipping. But I was honestly wanting to put an 1100 back in it. But if i can go another route i would prolly be open to that also.

Comment

Working...
                      X