X

Wake up, lights out!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake up, lights out!

Ok so here is the scoop....I having been riding my bike day in and day out since the snow was gone...literally riding every day......No issues, nothing.
    One night, i come out of Olive Garden with my Fiance, and i turn the bike on, no lights! I gave it a good smack, and they came up....They flickered a little bit on the way home, but we got home safe and sound......
    Ever since, its been worse and worse...Sometimes smacking it would work fine, others not....But now im at the point where i can beat on the thing for hours on end, and i cant get any lights......i havnt riden in weeks due to this plus i hadnt had time to fully investigate....
    Just wondering if anyone had a similar issue that can guide me along to what to look for, or if anyone can tell me how to properly trouble shoot this...
    Just some facts here...
    2001 Kat 600
    The lights are only a year old. Bought them around August of last year i do believe.
    I also noted that smacking the right side had no effect when the lights went out, on smacking the right side was deemed effective.
    Just the other morning, i woke up and turned the bike on to see if it was going to work since it was a great day out, and the lights went right on! so i took a quick little joy ride.....i stopped at a park 3 minutes down the road, parked the bike, and went for a little walk. Came back, no lights.....Seems to me something electrical, yes?

Any thoughts, clues, tips, tricks, whatever, is greatly appreciated. I hadnt riden my bike in almost a month and im startin to have withdraw!
    Thanks

Might be a melted/burned out connector behind the "third eye" light. Time to trouble shoot
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You keep saying new lights... Do you mean new bulbs, or HID?

If you haven't done anything drastic, then it is likely you have a similar issue to the one I did...(The symptoms are identical.)

Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

They are just replacement bulbs, sorry for not clarifying that in my origional post!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobydoo View Post
          They are just replacement bulbs, sorry for not clarifying that in my origional post!
          Read through the link I posted. I think I detailed my solution adequately.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

If only I had mentioned looking at those connectors
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Mine wasn't in that center connector, it was in the black connector on the right side.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet

Comment

Touche
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

alrighty then. Ill check her out. Not looking forward to taking the fairings off, but ohwell! Lets just hope this is as easy of a find/fix as you depict! if so, ill be fixing it tonight!

Comment

I would check the bulbs of all things first, why not start with the easy thing before you start chasing wires. Just because they are only a year old doesn't mean they can't fail prematurely. The filament could be burnt out and when you smacked it it could have "welded" its self back together allowing it to work. If that is not the case then make sure your connectors are all nice and tight
                    Do you know why Santa is so jolly.... Because he knows where all the naughty girls live..

Comment

So finally had the time to remove the fairings and check this issue out...turns out, i believe that TheTable was right...check out the attatched pictures.....

It looks like its the two yellow-white wires inside the yellow box of connections........ However, i also took notice that the entire yellow box housing was really hot to the touch...this normal?

So in saying all of the above, should i get a new housing, or re-terminate the two bad lines (yellow-white)?
                      Attached Files

Comment

There isn't much in there that should make it hot, other than perhaps the headlights themselves. I would spread all the female contacts, and put a good wad of dielectric grease in there and call it done.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet

Comment

Working...
                        X