Bike completely dead, strange electrical gremlins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike completely dead, strange electrical gremlins

Ok, a little back story.
    Just got the bike fixed up from emptying my gas tank in my crank case.
    Got her put back together all was good, running strong.
    Ride in to work today no problems.
    Bike sits 9 hours and I want to go home.
    Minor detail - its pouring down rain now.
    I put in the key, all lights etc come on as normal.
    In neutral, kick stand up hit the starter button.
    CLICK, not a dead battery click just a hard CLICK and bike does not even attempt to turn over.
    Fumble around five, ten minutes taking the bike in and out of neutral, rocking etc.
    Finally she goes to crank, and crank, and crank.
    Now the ***** wont start. (Maybe I flooded it)
    Finally I am amble to get her started, and ride about a mile or two down the road. Keeping the revs up and its running like crap, feels like a heavy miss.
    It kind of felt like it was clearing up and then for some reason I got the bright ideas to hit the high beams.
    Bike dies instantly. No lights, no nothing.
    I coast into a parking lot and turn the key on and off. No lights, no gauges, no nothing. THE CLOCK IS EVEN OFF which normally runs 24/7.
    Have I tripped a breaker here, if so where is it?
    Any other ideas?
    I think I have supplied all the information I know.

Went a looked at the bike again, searched around for the trip switch I have seen mentioned elsewhere. Checked the 4 or 5 fuses in the little box, none were blown.
    Pulled the large block fuse cleaned and put back on.
    No dice on the breaker switch. Is that only for Pre's?
    Mines a 2002. Also tried smacking the ignition switch and wigglin a bunch. No dice.
    Clock lights are still off, and bike is receiving zero power from what was a perfect battery.
    Its got to be the main fuse, where is it?
    Also I did noticed some badly chafed wires going to the brake light. Definitely not good, but I don't think this is my problem.
    Where are the grounds located at that I should remove and clean?
    Help me out here boys cause my bike is stranded at the local high school of all places.

Comment

Bad battery or bad connection. Put a meter to the battery terminals and check the voltage. If there's good voltage there, start moving down the line. At some point, the voltage will probably drop off. When it does, look there.

Comment

You dont think it could be the main fuse?
        The bike literally DIED when I flipped the high beams.
        I am pretty sure the battery is good but will check it.

Still want more insight on this main fuse, I think its what my problem is but do not currently have the bike at my house.
        Will need to trailer it home or replace the fuse on the go.

Comment

the first thing that i thought of was a bad alternator, then a maybe a short from the headlight, then the alternator or rectifier. Just a couple of thoughts. I'd probably get her trailered the hell out of that parking lot as I trust kids not to mess with bike like a trust a lion not to eat a steak! Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by droptopchevy View Post
            You dont think it could be the main fuse?
            The bike literally DIED when I flipped the high beams.
            I doubt it. Flipping the high beams or cranking the starter can produce the same symptoms: Suppose you do have a bad connection; the sudden current draw from high beams or starter can arc that bad connection, killing it entirely.

Besides, if you use a meter to work your way downstream from the battery, you'll run across the fuse anyway.

Comment

Any other ideas fellas? Hopefully will be able to take a look at her as soon as I get a free minute. Really hoping for the easy fix with the fuse.

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas, it was infact the main fuse.
                It was a 30a fuse located underneath the left side fairing. The right does not need to be removed to access it.
                Just as I suspected. Luckily they included a spare.
                Guys I urge you to inspect your tail light harness, mine was very frayed and very torn up and it is what I suspect caused the outage.
                That and heavy rain storm.
                Thanks again.

Comment

good to hear you are back on the road. electrical problems are a huge PITA!
                  Originally posted by Slofuze:
                  Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

Working...
                  X