X

H.I.D legality

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.I.D legality

Hey im wondering how illegal it is to have the hid headlight installed on my pre because obviously it didnt come with one, the biggest problem i have with it is the light wont point down enough without looking stupid, it lights up signs really far away and cop cars which i dont want them to see that- so how illegal is it?

Technically, in most states an aftermarket lighting system is illegal for road use. That said, I've never known anybody to get busted as long as it's funtioning properly. I have seen some people pulled over and ticketed for HID colors that are too far outside the norm, so I'd play it safe and stay with 4-8K. My HID system is a 6K and I've not had any problems in 3 years.

Note: My bike has projector beam headlamps, which work perfectly with HIDs. If you install HIDs into a bike with regular headlamps (like Katanas), make sure you aim them down a little to avoid blinding other riders/drivers. You may get tired of people flashing their brights at you or you may be pulled-over.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Nero hit the nail right on the head... Most have warnings labels "for off-road use only" on them

Comment

I asked a local cop about taking HID headlights from a luxury car, and retrofitting them into my bikes headlight. All he said was "sweet, I wanna see it when its done!". I love KY.

He did say that he didnt see any legal problem with using a set of projectors from a car though.

Comment

I know that in DE (and I believe PA) changing the "type" of headlight (i.e. Halogen, Projector, HID) is illegal, but really only to the point of you failing state inspection, due to people doin hack wiring jobs on HIDs and catching their on fire. I know a ton of ppl in the area that have swaps done on their bikes/cages, and they've had no problems other than having to put their stock lights back on to pass inspection.

Comment

technically, its legal, since many higher end cars come standard with HID lighting. its really only illegal if your lights are like purple or red, or some wild crap like that. if you stay in the 4-8k range, as mentioned before, and aim them right, you've got nothing to worry about.

Comment

I actually asked a local cop at Starbucks (not Dunkin-Donuts, shocker) about this. I've been wanting to put HIDs in my Jetta and on the bike. He said that he has never, and has never known anyone, to pull someone over or ticket a person for non-stock HIDs. Pretty promising if you ask me. However...technically they are still illegal, in about every state I believe. I don't usually advocate for much of any illegal behaviors...but this is one I feel safe doing.

Comment

well, asking a cop is probably not a good course of action, since many of them dont know the law as well as you'd think. instead, look up your state laws online and read them. this will be the only ABSOLUTELY sure answer. plus if you get pulled over you can show the exact statute statign it IS in fact legal this way.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker View Post
                  well, asking a cop is probably not a good course of action, since many of them dont know the law as well as you'd think. instead, look up your state laws online and read them. this will be the only ABSOLUTELY sure answer. plus if you get pulled over you can show the exact statute statign it IS in fact legal this way.
                  The point of my post was...it is actually illegal in most all states... The likelihood of you actually getting ticketed for it is not high though.

Comment

ok, I just have a question then. if its illegal, why do so many cars sold nationwide come STANDARD with HID lighting? I mean if it were illegal, they wouldnt put it on them would they?

not trying to start anything, I'm just curious here. I mean logically it seems that the state would say so long as its white light, or very close to that, and not blinding/causing a hazard to other drivers, its legal.

Comment

HID lighting is not illegal in itself. Putting HID bulbs in a halogen reflector housing IS illegal. The amount of dazzle you throw into oncoming traffic is ridiculous.

If you're going to go the HID route, please please PLEASE get projectors to put them in. I'm sick of having bikes and rice rockets behind me giving me headaches because they were too lazy or cheap to do an HID conversion the right way.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker View Post
                        ok, I just have a question then. if its illegal, why do so many cars sold nationwide come STANDARD with HID lighting? I mean if it were illegal, they wouldnt put it on them would they?

not trying to start anything, I'm just curious here. I mean logically it seems that the state would say so long as its white light, or very close to that, and not blinding/causing a hazard to other drivers, its legal.
                        You are correct, plenty of cars come standard with HID lighting, and its legal. What's illegal is converting a non-HID vehicle to HID's. The reason is, HID's are a much much more sensitive system with very different power requirements. There have been too many cases of people not knowing better and wiring up a pair of newer HID's to their old (and in many cases neglected) factory electrical system, which was designed to run on standard Halogen bulbs. While HID's are actually much more efficient lights, the ballasts draw considerable power when they strike themselves and turn on. The old factory wiring isn't designed to handle that big draw, and coupled with too many awful wiring jobs, it becomes a huge 60mph fire hazard, and there have been incidents out there about vehicle fires caused by bad HID retrofits. So the DOT just basically passed a law saying you have to stick with whatever headlight type your car/bike came with in the first place. HID's (and retrofits) are perfectly safe when done and wired correctly.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        HID lighting is not illegal in itself. Putting HID bulbs in a halogen reflector housing IS illegal. The amount of dazzle you throw into oncoming traffic is ridiculous.
                        Scotty's right, although on our bikes I have to say I don't feel as bad seeing as how low visibility is to begin with, I'm more on the side of "a little dazzle is better than the basic flashlight we have from the factory". But DOT got plenty of complaints from drivers at night getting headaches from people's "dazzle". Also, not sure what the regs are out in KY, but I do know around here (DE/PA/MD), anything other than your factory headlights will fail inspection, HID or not. Definitely look into the local code where you are. Good thing with bikes are, the guy in the inspections lane rarely knows or cares what bike came with what kind of headlight.
                        Last edited by Cyclops755; 01-17-2010, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops755 View Post
                          Also, not sure what the regs are out in KY, but I do know around here (DE/PA/MD), anything other than your factory headlights will fail inspection, HID or not.
                          What's this "inspection" you're talking about?
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

man...cars that come standard with HID's blind the crap out of me. They like to get right behind me on the highway and throw on the cruise...then speed up when I do and change lanes with me.

Comment

Originally posted by cleankat96 View Post
                              Hey im wondering how illegal it is to have the hid headlight installed on my pre...so how illegal is it?
                              When you want to know the law, a.k.a. vehicle code, go to the source.

Scroll down to Article 16.
                              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X