X

Can anyone help out?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help out?

All of a sudden the low beam on my 600 katana stopped working. The high beam goes on when I flip the switch but there's no headlights at all when just the lowbeam is supposed to be on. Any ideas what could cause that?

Originally posted by shiwa123 View Post
    All of a sudden the low beam on my 600 katana stopped working. The high beam goes on when I flip the switch but there's no headlights at all when just the lowbeam is supposed to be on. Any ideas what could cause that?
    Check the switch at the handlebar first. They can become corroded very easily. Clean, apply dielectric grease to prevent future issues.

If that doesn't work, double check the wires/connections for the circuit. Also, double check the bulb. It is possible that the low beam is out.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Also, double check the bulb. It is possible that the low beam is out.

Krey
      When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebra's. Sometimes it is the simplest thing first. Always start with the basics.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

+1 on both responses...CP noticed my zx600e had the same problem this summer at the rally and suspected it was a mere low beam bulb burnout...I fixed it by trading it in for my ZZR1200!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
          When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebra's. Sometimes it is the simplest thing first. Always start with the basics.

I'm not sure if your suggesting buying a new light that may not be bad would be simpler than cleaning a connection or not (that would be free)... but I would say check the switch first... in my experiance, it's the most common issue.

Krey
          Last edited by Kreylyn; 11-29-2009, 06:55 PM.
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I had the same problem..... turned out to be a bulb.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              I'm sure if your suggesting buying a new light that may not be bad would be simpler than cleaning a connection or not (that would be free)... but I would say check the switch first... in my experiance, it's the most common issue.

Krey
              Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
              I had the same problem..... turned out to be a bulb.
              Now I'm confused!!
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I would personally check the voltage at the bulb first with a meter to make sure it's getting live. In absence of a DMM, though, I'd visually check the bulb first. The low beam usually goes before the high beam, since it's on a lot more often.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                  Now I'm confused!!
                  I'm just saying... check the switch first, it COULD be the issue... and it won't cost you anything to check. As opposed to buying a bulb that could turn out to not fix the issue... and now you have money invested.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

ok .. just get a new f'n bulb already ....
                    It ain't fun unless the both go out on a moonless night at 75 MPH , on a nameless unlit highway anyway .... (trust me it sucks..... been there done that)
                    Scotty Doesn't Know ...Scotty Doesn't Know.. Don't Tell Scotty

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                      I would personally check the voltage at the bulb first with a meter to make sure it's getting live. In absence of a DMM, though, I'd visually check the bulb first. The low beam usually goes before the high beam, since it's on a lot more often.
                      Hmmm i usualy run my high beams... all the time. SO ppl see me better. Day or night. Low beams if im trailen another bike.

Comment

Originally posted by shiwa123 View Post

I had that problem on my 750, turned out to be a loose wire on the running light unit above the main lights, easy fix ( 2x allen key bolts and the unit comes out with the panel) the connections on mine had rusted and gave an intermittent fault, try jiggling the wires and see if it comes back on. hope this helps

Comment

I high beam everyone, so what would I know about this. LOL!
                          R.I.P. CYBERPOET

***WE WILL RIDE TOGETHER AGAIN ONE DAY***

Comment

it was the bulb on mine,although i only had 1 low beam go out.my money is on being the bulbs.

Comment

Having this same problem on my '04 750.. Checked fuse.. Cleaning the starter switch, then I'll try looking around the headlight assembly. Been having problems with the starter switch recently.. and I also recently installed heated grips off the extra accessory wire. It'd be nice if people who post these problems, would post an update on what it turned out to be. If it's not wiring, I'll break down and buy some bulbs.. just that it seems odd that both low beams would burn out and both high beams work.

Comment

Working...
                              X