X

What if pu GSXR CDI on my kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if pu GSXR CDI on my kat

can i put GSXR750 CDI Unit on my 750 prekat?
    will it run better or worse?
    Live to ride,
    Ride KATANA!

If it's not the same part number, I wouldn't do it. If it is, technically the pre kats are old gsxr motors, probably will run exactly the same. The cdi just is nothing more than the brain that tells the coils fire at the right time determine by the pick up sensors.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      If it's not the same part number, I wouldn't do it. If it is, technically the pre kats are old gsxr motors, probably will run exactly the same. The cdi just is nothing more than the brain that tells the coils fire at the right time determine by the pick up sensors.

and exactly that brain can make the bike run better or worse
      controling that moment of the spark,as for that reason some install ignition advancer or dynateck cdi unit
      as the kat is made to be a cheap bike and the gsxr for a more expensive sport bike i think the cdi is better
      however,has anyone did such a swap??
      Live to ride,
      Ride KATANA!

Comment

GSXR engine was only similar to preKats for a few years and even then not all internal components were the same, i.e. camshafts. Buy yourself a cheap early GSXR CDI and try it and let us know how it worked. Just from researching this it appears the CDI from a 1989 GSXR 750 is the same as the pre 600 Kats on RonAyers.com
        Last edited by Trackerrrr; 10-01-2009, 03:41 AM.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I have a katana 750 CDi on my Gixxer 1100 engine, and it runs fine. And part numbers are not always the same for the bikes, but they are the same part. Suzuki just liked to be screwy that way.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
            Just from researching this it appears the CDI from a 1989 GSXR 750 is the same as the pre 600 Kats on RonAyers.com
            I think you may be mistaken. I looked up the same thing, and came up with on 1988-1990 GSXR750 sharing the same cdi, and 88-97 GSX600F sharing the same. Similar numbers, but not the same.

The 85-87 GSXR750's used a different signal generator, so I definitely wouldn't try one of them. (not sure they'd plug in anyway) The 88-91 GSXR750 used the same signal generator as the Kats, so it's a possibility.

Personally, I don't think it would make so much difference. Even if the spark curves are different between them, it could be due to the cams being different..... so to get the full GSXR effect, you'd have to swap the cams as well. The spark curve for the GSXR setup might not work as well on the Kat's setup. Or maybe it will. Give it a shot.

Originally posted by SweetLou View Post
            I have a katana 750 CDi on my Gixxer 1100 engine, and it runs fine. And part numbers are not always the same for the bikes, but they are the same part. Suzuki just liked to be screwy that way.
            I'm hoping that's a 98+ cdi? The pre98 750's don't hit the limiter till about 13k rpm.... that's just a touch higher than the 1100's are supposed to rev! The 98+ 750's would be good though.
            Last edited by loudnlow7484; 10-01-2009, 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i'm doin the 1100 swap this winter. '86 1100 gsxr (1056) into a '90 kat 750. the gsxr redlined at about 11k, and my 750 at 12.5k. i hope to not have to swap complete harnesses, and just basicly plug and play with the kat harness and electrics. studying the wiring diagrams i see differences in the safeties right off (neutral, and sidestand setup inc. the diode) should be interesting, but at least the ignition looks pretty much the same.
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

The only differences in the CDI's that I am aware of is the redline. It's different for the 600, 750, and 1127.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Just make sure the ohms are the same for the pick up coils or you might end up with 2 bad ignition sets. There is a reason stores won't take back open electronic parts.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

The differances in the cdi's across the oil cooled range from the first to the last are ......

#1 rev limiter
                    #2 ignition advance curve
                    #3 wiring plugs & position of connectors

All the cdi's will run all the engines if you can wire it correctly but its not always a good idea

fao re ignition pickups ...... some engines run 1 & some engines run 2

tone
                    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                      The differances in the cdi's across the oil cooled range from the first to the last are ......

#1 rev limiter
                      #2 ignition advance curve
                      #3 wiring plugs & position of connectors

All the cdi's will run all the engines if you can wire it correctly but its not always a good idea

fao re ignition pickups ...... some engines run 1 & some engines run 2

tone
                      thats the other thing,my kat nas only one ignitio pickup,while the gsxr has 2
                      my coils are 3 ohms,the gsxr 4 ohm
                      so not to try to burn my brand new ignition coils?
                      Live to ride,
                      Ride KATANA!

Comment

Yes, I am runnning a 98+
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by chemomche View Post
                          my coils are 3 ohms,the gsxr 4 ohm
                          so not to try to burn my brand new ignition coils?
                          Almost right, kat coils are 2 to 4 ohms & gsxr 3 to 5 ohms ive swapped these about before with no problems at all, not sure it makes any differance here but maybe the more electrical minded folk here could
                          enlighten us

I know you can run the 1 pickup setup with a cdi & loom meant for 2 the other way round but not sure exactly whats involved, a few guys on OSS have done it so maybe its worth asking there
                          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
                          X