X

bike just fried itself

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike just fried itself

was riding through town today - it had been raining heavy earlier and the bike cut on to 2 cylinders - so i had a look under the tank but couldnt see anything wrong power to everything so just put it down to rain - then when i went back out i was riding about 20 mins when i stopped at the lights and there was smoke coming up through the fairings - i thought it was steam off the pipes till i smelled it - pulled over and the loom is fryed - started splitting it open and it seems to be the ignition wires that have overloaded and melted there way open
    the fuse didnt trip to protect the circiuit either

what could have caused it?

p.s 1991 gsx600f is the bike
    Last edited by bigbike-r; 05-21-2009, 11:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

A short before the fuse? Improper or Ill-maintained connectors (No Die electric grease sp?) Insulation rubbed through? Fuses help but never count on them
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

i made a temporary repair using some insulation tape wrapped them all up well made sure theres no where for wire to contact with anything - put some tin foil under the wiring on the head to act as a heat shield went or a ride - checked it all - everything good
      went out again with the lights on - i suspected the lights be the problem at first hand as it was the brown wire that mainly fried - come back and the loom has started frying again - all the lights work but must be making contact somehow? whats the deal with it

Comment

i think in the morning its gonna be worthwhile me ripping out the ignition wires and replacing them and trying that - before i resort to a new loom

Comment

You can find used looms on ebay quite a bit as an alternative, or check with Arsenic, he may have a used one for sale.
          Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
          Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

yeah - theres a couple on ebay now for £20 wich isnt a bad price really - theres one brand new for £60 trouble is im absolutely skint lol

Comment

my loom has melted, but dont know why? like badly melt ont he main loom that runs down the o/s (left) of the bike.

anyone got any ideas?

will replacing the loom do it? or will a component fry it again?
              owner of a very ill and upset 1989 GSX600F. - poor baby!

Comment

Originally posted by itfben View Post
                my loom has melted, but dont know why? like badly melt ont he main loom that runs down the o/s (left) of the bike.

anyone got any ideas?

will replacing the loom do it? or will a component fry it again?
                Unless you can find somewhere that the loom has obviously rubbed through the insulation, you need to check out each circuit before putting power to a new loom. The wires melting the insulation is just a symptom, the real cause is a short somewhere.

Comment

bumb question coming up... how do I check each circuit?

oh and thanks for the help, appreciated!

Comment

Improper or dirty connections (smaller area of contact for the flow of electrons) produces heat.... This means normal amount of energy traveling so as not to trip the fuses, but lots of heat build up.

Check the connections.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Improper or dirty connections (smaller area of contact for the flow of electrons) produces heat.... This means normal amount of energy traveling so as not to trip the fuses, but lots of heat build up.

Check the connections.

Krey
                      how / can this be fixed?

Comment

how / can this be fixed?
                        Pull each connection, clean/remove any buildup of corrosion, apply dielectric grease to prevent water/buildup in the future.

Basically... if it looks dirty/rusty/corroded... it will not give you a good connection. Chemical or abrasives (like sand paper or steel wool) can be used to clean them.

Also keep in mind that bends in the wire, or pressure (crimped wires, clamped wires, wires trapped between parts) will do the same.

Also check all grounds to make sure they are clean and have a good surface area contact.

krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

bumb question coming up... how do I check each circuit?

oh and thanks for the help, appreciated!
                          with the wiring diagram from your service manual and a multi-meter
                          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                            with the wiring diagram from your service manual and a multi-meter
                            possibley a dumb question, but by service manual do you mean something like a Haynes Maunal as I have one of those, or do you mean something else?

Comment

Check the Pinch point under the front edge of the Clutch lever - I have seen Issues there, and the hi-Low switch is on that side, if the sleeve has slipped or the harness is not in it's little groove there could be problems

Doc
                              Its not the speed of life that kills you - It's that sudden stop at the end

Comment

Working...
                              X