X

Low Beam Issues 98+

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Beam Issues 98+

I have asked this in the CB and gotten some things to check but they were all not the issue. Could not find a similar question by searching the threads either, so sorry if this is a repost of sorts.

My high beam works fine all the time as long as the switch is in the high beam position. The low beam works intermittenly and by intermittenly I mean quit working two years ago and then started back a few weeks ago only to go out again last week . Frustrating. This really isn't too much of an issue since most of my riding is done during the day and I use my high beam to increase visibility, but with summer fast approaching and bike nights starting all over the place I am getting the urge to do more night riding.

The problem does NOT lie in the switch (I removed and tested the connections), or the bulbs (yes I checked them), or the fuses (I checked them too even though I believe that if it were a fuse it would not have come back on and/or the high beam also would have gone out).

So what should I check next? Replace the bulbs anyway? I have been wanting some brighter bulbs anyway. Is there a separate ground for the low beam? I wouldn't think so, but... Please, any help you could provide would be great.

Thank you,

Jarrett
    Think safe, ride safe.

I know you said you checked the connections on the switch, but did you take it apart down to the rocker part and the contact on the low beam side? It is possible one of the contact strips is cracked or broken in there just enough to not work most of the time.
    Also try spraying some electrical contact cleaner in the contact areas. Rocker switches like these get a small amount of build up in there and they tend to not work. We see that a lot on our airplanes.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scottysags View Post
      I know you said you checked the connections on the switch, but did you take it apart down to the rocker part and the contact on the low beam side? It is possible one of the contact strips is cracked or broken in there just enough to not work most of the time.
      Also try spraying some electrical contact cleaner in the contact areas. Rocker switches like these get a small amount of build up in there and they tend to not work. We see that a lot on our airplanes.
      Yes I took it down to the rocker and went as far as to clean the contact pads. They were not cracked, nor did they show any signs of corrosion. I just cleaned them anyway because I already in there.
      Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Did you check the headlight connector plug? I've had a similar issue and it ended up being that plug being burnt.

These are only two pics I have of the plug. It is located behind the 3rd eye, center light, up front above the headlight.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
          Did you check the headlight connector plug? I've had a similar issue and it ended up being that plug being burnt.

These are only two pics I have of the plug. It is located behind the 3rd eye, center light, up front above the headlight.

+1
          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
            +1

Someone who knows what I'm talking about.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Good idea to check for burnt connectors and pins pushed out of connectors. Also never trust a "visual" check. Many bad switches and connectors "look" just fine. The ONLY way to properly check a circuit is using a voltmeter and checking voltage drop along the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post

I do not recall there being any burning last time I had it off, but I will pull the cover off againg to check. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                Good idea to check for burnt connectors and pins pushed out of connectors. Also never trust a "visual" check. Many bad switches and connectors "look" just fine. The ONLY way to properly check a circuit is using a voltmeter and checking voltage drop along the circuit.
                Will do, now I gotta find that pesky volt meter...
                Last edited by jedney; 05-21-2009, 06:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

check the bulb socket really good too. they melt all to crap if someone put a larger bulb than stock in them
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Fuses are the big "don't rely on looking at" items. I used to catch my students all the time with the fuse that looked good.

Comment

Working...
                    X