X

Clutch safty switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch safty switch

I laid my bike down on the left side and i think that my clutch safty switch sensor may be damaged. how do i check it thats my problem? and how can i get it working?

thanks

Good advice man you should replace them because a faulty switch will leave you in the middle of nowere when you are riding.. It happen to me when i was installing a new handle bar...i bent the switch a little and it happen.. i went ridding for a bit stop to look around and the bike didn't want to start...safety first...

Comment

Originally posted by thadude-who-wrestles View Post
      how do i check it thats my problem? and how can i get it working?
      For electrical switches I use the continuity setting on a multimeter.

If the switch is malfunctioning then it's best to replace it then to repair a defective switch.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by thadude-who-wrestles View Post
        I laid my bike down on the left side and i think that my clutch safty switch sensor may be damaged. how do i check it thats my problem? and how can i get it working?

thanks
        I can't tell you a doggone thing about your clutch safety switch, but that looks like a nice cut-across finish on the hi-c in your avy. You're a left-foot lead?

Comment

it has two wires, jump it out and don't park in front of a plate glass window with it jumped.

Comment

yup. the paperclip or wire works. Funny just happened to me the other day. here's the advice i got and the link to the thread.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97315

Well, when a bike won't start, I usually run down the 3 common things:

Killswitch, clutch safety switch, sidestand safety switch. I think Katanas have issues with the clutch safety switch goin' out pretty easily (mine did..), so you may need to jumper it temporarily with a paper clip for a quick test.

Could possibly be a more annoying issue, but I doubt it. I've seen bikes bounce down the road a few times, and they mostly started right up *laugh*

Originally Posted by Maxxrox
            Clutch safety switch is on the underside of your left handlebar cluster.

Gonna have a couple wires wrapped in a black jacket (on mine, anyway) coming in the underside. If you pull it off, it'll just be two female spade connectors. Jumper it with a paper clip and see if you can crank up.

If it works, you found your issue. You can either replace it (not a bad idea, it IS a safety feature), bypass it in the wiring harness, or jumper it permanently (not as recommended, heh).

I can't find a clearly-labeled fiche detailing the switch itself in short order, but I think it's exploded part 8 here. If this is incorrect, someone please let me know *grin*

--B
            http://www.rollinhardriderz.com
            http://www.myspace.com/hostyle742

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bagyo View Post
              ... I think Katanas have issues with the clutch safety switch goin' out pretty easily ...
              It's not just Kats. It's Suzukis in general and the problems date back at least to 1979. (The earliest Suzuki I've owned.) Lots of bikes don't have a clutch safety switch and instead count on the rider to engage the gray cells. (Which you should be doing anyway!) My suggestion is to yank that POS off the bike and toss it in the nearest trash can. If you pull the gas tank you'll find the wiring harness connectors for it - one male, one female. Just connect the two on the harness together and you've got a permanent fix. It's like Suzuki knew that switch was trash...
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thanks that paper clip did the trick.

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X