X

Suggestions for adding 'outlets'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for adding 'outlets'

So I've got an electrical problem and I'm going to have to get the bike naked to find the @$#% thing. While I'm in there I'd like to add some power 'outlets'. In the near term I'm going to need a cig lighter outlet (GPS/Phone) and I also want to plan for heated grips (coming by the fall), a heated vest and possibly a battery tender type plug. At a minimum I'd like to get the cig lighter outlet installed and have wiring prepped for the heated grips. Is the SAE connector fairly standard for bike accessories?

I don’t care if the cig outlet is mounted in the ‘dash’ or if it hangs below it (somewhat hidden from view and rain) but it’s not going under the seat. All power should be cut once the ignition is off, all connections, housings, outlets must be water-tight when not in use so I’ll be making good use of solder and heat-shrink tubing where necessary. It appears that 15A will be plenty for all items that could possibly be used at one time. Oh and it's against my religion to wire anything directly to the battery. I'm not at all sure if my bike has the spare Cali thermal plug (Canadian '06 600) but if it does I'm thinking this would be a good source of power; my understanding is there's one always live feed and one that's ignition switched. Anybody know the style of plug and if there's a generic/OEM one that can be sourced?

Obvious questions are do I need to add a secondary fuse box? Can I simply tap into another source (ie: Cali plug)? My ASSumption for the cig outlet is whatever I plug into it will be self-regulating so I don’t plan on incorporate one (unless they’re small and dirt cheap).
    My Kat’s a 2006 and I’ve got the wiring diagram/service book for the 2001 and I’m finding there are some significant differences but I’m OK with working through those but that's also why I have no idea if my bike has that Cali plug (haven't pulled the fairings off yet).
    Any recommendations/suggestions on power source or type of outlets?
    Thanks!

I tapped into my running light circuit for my 12v outlet for my GPS. Hvent had any issues yet.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Adding a secondary fuse block is probably the best route to go. Then you can use a relay, and switch the power with the key.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Adding a secondary fuse block is probably the best route to go. Then you can use a relay, and switch the power with the key.
        The main reason I was hoping to avoid this is I didn't want to give up any real estate in the trunk and the chance of something snagging a wire in such an accessible area is too high (for me). So what about between the frame and the frame cover? Or up front somewhere? I'm guessing anywhere outside of the seating area and I have to worry more about water?

Of course how cool would this be on the dash: http://bluesea.com/category/5/20/productline/119

Comment

I know that The Cyberpoet had mounted a fuse block over the battery, and I've seen some other folks use a marine grade block under the seat.

Really, if you are going to be running something like heated grips, you want to use the correct gauge wire... and not overload anything.
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I was planning on going with 10ga throughout but I think I'm coming to my senses and realizing 12ga is plenty for the amps/distances I'll be going in the bike. Once I get the fairings off I'll check the cali wiring to see what gauge it is and if that will git er done for me or not - although if I'm going into a secondary block I'd be more comfortable feeding it with 10gauge. Of course all the automotive places were closed this aft when i went around and Monday is a holiday here so looks like I'll have a few extra days to over-plan it all

thanks for the help Steve

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            I tapped into my running light circuit for my 12v outlet for my GPS. Hvent had any issues yet.
            Thanks Hemi. I thought about that but I like the idea of a virgin line so if something goes wrong there's less likelihood of me taking out something critical on the bike and I will know exactly what load is crossing what wire, etc.
            Last edited by BradsKat; 05-16-2009, 04:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Brads, for the extra few bucks you'll spend putting the fuse block in correctly.... you'll never have to worry about blowing a fuse or burning up wires.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Brads, for the extra few bucks you'll spend putting the fuse block in correctly.... you'll never have to worry about blowing a fuse or burning up wires.
                I agree. Now it's about finding the right block and a place to stash it...

Comment

If I could remember.... search here for marine equipment or something.... I just don't have the link bookmarked anymore. Marine fuse block? hmmm...

Found it...
                  KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                  and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
                  Last edited by steves; 05-16-2009, 04:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Good find Steve thanks. 16 pages of wiring/elec postings and I still hadn't come across it...

Marc, any chance you still have pics or part #s kicking around?

Comment

On the second page of that link I posted my hookup of the Blue Sea fuse box. At that time I had the 6 circuit box, now I have the 12 circuit connected.

It is powered from the battery via a relay from the rear running light, so when the ignition switch is in the off position everything on those 12 circuits is dead.

For my Powerlet outlet on my dash, I wired it directly to the battery with a fuse because I use it for my Gerbing electric jacket. Everything else electrical goes through the Blue Sea fuse box.

So far I have 10 circuits connected to the fuse block.
                      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Yeah I saw that Squiggy - looks great; that's how I ended up finding the Blue Sea site and this wonderful thing: http://bluesea.com/category/5/20/productline/119

If only the dash was bigger

Six circuits will be more than enough for me but for something that big I'd like to mount it somewhere out of the way.

Aren't there two unused spots left on the stock fuse block?

Brad

Now if I could find a weatherproof version of the "6 Circuit Raised Ganged ATO/ATC Fuse Block" http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html I think I'd be well on my way. Just add a relay in there and voila!
                        Last edited by BradsKat; 05-16-2009, 06:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by BradsKat View Post
                          Six circuits will be more than enough for me but for something that big I'd like to mount it somewhere out of the way.
                          I mounted mine under the seat, away from the rain and the weather.

Originally posted by BradsKat View Post
                          Aren't there two unused spots left on the stock fuse block?
                          I've seen a couple spots in there that were blank, without the metal contacts, for the purpose of holding extra fuses. You might be able to disassemble another OEM fuse box for the electrical contacts to do what your thinking.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Hopefully tomorrow we'll get a break from the rain and I can have a closer look at the stock box... that would be perfect since, at least in the mid-term, I don't anticipate needing more than two extra circuits. And finding a used one to cut apart for the connectors shouldn't be that big a deal...

Comment

I was using this powerplate ( http://www.electricalconnection.com/...ion/pplate.htm ) and placed it on the custom-brackets I had made from my blue print. I think I may still have one of the brackets; I sold the actual combination unit I had on the bike already.

NOTE: If you tap the power-sense at the California thermister controller, take only the positive from there -- the negative is a "dirty" negative.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X