X

difference from 95 - 98 ignition switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference from 95 - 98 ignition switch

im wondering what the wires are for in the 98 harness vs the ones in the 95. I was looking for a post switch but all im finding are pre switches but i noticed that the post switch is 6 pins and the pre are only 4 what are the extra 2 wires for in the post setup.

It could be for the "P" Parking light setting.

Does the Pre's have the "P" setting on the ignition switch? It's where the rear brake light comes on as a running light and the front "third" eye comes on as well.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
      It could be for the "P" Parking light setting.

Does the Pre's have the "P" setting on the ignition switch? It's where the rear brake light comes on as a running light and the front "third" eye comes on as well.
      Yes, the Pre's do have the Park setting. No third eye of course, but all the lights come on and it drains the batteries just as quickly as it does on the 98+

I swear I remember reading something about the 98+ ignition having some kind of theft shutoff, am I crazy?
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i have one ingition switch of each but both look to have had there faces smashed so i dont know what the settings for the different spots are for so i dont know if i can just tie the extra wires into a different wire in the pre ignition of if i need to find a 98+ ignition i can get a NEW pre off ebay for 34 bucks this is one reason im asking. I cant find a 98+ ingition switch on ebay

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          I swear I remember reading something about the 98+ ignition having some kind of theft shutoff, am I crazy?
          I remember reading here that the Post's have some sort of built-in diode or resistor thing in the switch to prevent hot-wiring.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

so i better find a post ignition switch then. thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
              I remember reading here that the Post's have some sort of built-in diode or resistor thing in the switch to prevent hot-wiring.
              that be correct if you hotwire a post it runs for like 30 seconds, then the diode burns out and it dies. It can not be restarted after that.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                that be correct if you hotwire a post it runs for like 30 seconds, then the diode burns out and it dies. It can not be restarted after that.
                Do more modern motorcycles have this feature?
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                X