X

Turn signal and brake light problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn signal and brake light problem

While working on the bike I just bought, I found that the front brake light switch was not working.
    so I replaced the switch and still does the same thing.
    Running light works but not the brake.

Also, left front turn signal light not working.
    Right side works and the left rear works but the front does not, only the turn signal indicator works and blinks rather fast.

Swapped bulbs but still get the same results.

Any thoughts?

TIA

All you want to know is right here ~

bad ground(s) check your connections. ground is the black/white stripe wire
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Thanks, were are the grounds located?

Comment

follow um back from the lights themselves. typicly there's 2 black wires coming from each front signal. one will go to a black/white stripe wire. that's the ground. did you check both bulbs on the left side?

the brake light is a dual filiment bulb. the brown wire is the always on running light, white/black stripe is the brake light. if your running light is on, check the white/black. if they're both out, check your fuse, and the black/white stripe ground. does the brake light work with either switch? (handlebar and/or foot)
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

Brake running light is on, foot switch works just fine, handlebar does not work at all.

follow um back from the lights themselves. typicly there's 2 black wires coming from each front signal. one will go to a black/white stripe wire. that's the ground. did you check both bulbs on the left side?

Front left not working, rear left works fine and turn indicator working just blinking fast along with the left rear.

Thanks for the help ~
          Will start tracing back the wiring from the lights ....

JB

Comment

put an ohm meter on the bulb itself to make sure it's good. also inspect the socket and wires goodly for the signal itself.

Comment

Thanks ~
              Will do and let you know what I find .....

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem with my front left turn signal. It hasn't worked since I bought the bike. I was also wondering if the rear left is supposed to blink faster than the right one, as you said yours was jbo197. Maybe to grab a little more attention from cagers before making a left?

I plan on trying to fix it this weekend. I'll be sure to post if I find anything.

Comment

blinking fast is generally the sign a bulb is burnt out or the wire has come loose etc. another cause is mixing LEDs into the system

Comment

I had the same problem as you for the handlebar brake...wouldn't activate the brake light when squeezing the front brake.

I checked all the connections and the bulbs.

Eventually, I got to the micro-switch turns out that was the problem, didn't replace it though just doused it in contact cleaner and it started working.

Hope you find out what the problem is.

Comment

This weekend, I fixed the problem of the front left blinker not working. In my case, it was a loose pin in the first connection (technically the second maybe?). I pulled the light socket out, removed the first strand of wires, and inside the first connector was two pins, one of which had pulled too far back to make a connection. I pushed the pin back in from the back and wrapped it like crazy in electrical tape to secure it.

Sorry I don't know the proper terms for electrical components, but I'm sure anyone could figure it out just by looking at it. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Comment

Thanks Guys,
                        my problem ended up also being the mirco switch and loose pin in the first connection on the turn signal ~

Comment

Working...
                        X