X

1991 Katana 750 CDI

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Katana 750 CDI

it had spark in only 2 cylinders switch the wires to the other ignition coil the opposite 2 spark. got a new CDI and it worked in all 4 then the CDI dies after a few start ups, then works a little bit? then dies completely? then I get a new one it works fine then same thing happens then it also dies. what would cause this? The wires from CDI to ignition coil are fine. when the bike engine is being turned over it's sending about 9.2 volts to the CDI box? that wouldn't kill it right? what else should I be looking for? using a timing gun to test for spark.

Suzuki Katana Wiring Diagram - photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs034.snc1/3258_173221575701_555565701_6753775_4099573_n.jpg

Thanks,
    Zyan

most CDI's wont fire if they see less than 10 volts. what kinda shape is the battery in? where did you check the voltage? which pair of cylinders are firing when they do fire?
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

it fires from the left ignition coil. I tested the voltage on the wires right before it goes to CDI the orange and black one. the battery is new but o the model number it was suppose to be like single A and i got the double A or opposite and they told me it was only size different? but battery is fairly new. the starter sounds like it's turning over good.

Comment

so you only have spark on #1 & #4 cyl, no spark on #2 & #3? recheck the wiring and such associated with the right coil, and the ohms of both windings of the right coil
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

thing is if I switched the white(positive wire to left coil) and black(Positive wire wire to right coil) wires on the coils the opposite coil works perfect. the ohms work in the wires all the way back to the CDI plug, so should be fine. but I'll undo the wrappings and visual inspect it see if it's bare at any point or when it wiggles if it make a difference. any more advice would be appreciated.

Comment

which coil fires? the one with the white, or the one with the black/yellow ? the one that aint firing chase that wire back to the CDI, checking closely the connector block at the CDI

Comment

Working...
            X