X

Change light bulbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change light bulbs?

Hi all,... thought i'd pick everyone's brains in hopes of making my latest mod a little less painfull.

I bought a couple of "HID like" bulbs for my 2003 750 Kat just to see what it would look like. Is there an easy way to install these or do I have to remove the fairings and/or take apart the whole headlight assembly?

J
    ROCP

To put a new bulb in? I have no experience with the post 98s, but for my 93 I just had to pop a clip and pull the bulb out. I cant imagine it would be much more difficult on the posts...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I've got a pre as well and you CAN get to the bulb without pulling the fairing but it's a booger if you've got big hands. Try looking under the fairing from below. The bulb sockets should be covered with rubber hoods. Pull those back, disconnect the wiring connecter by pulling on it (wiggle it a bit if it doesn't come easy) and pop the wire clip holding the bulb in the housing. Don't touch the glass part of the bulbs. The oil from your fingers will cause a hot spot and crack the bulb. If you do mess up and touch glass then clean it off really well with rubbing alcohol and let that dry before installing the new bulbs.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        I've got a pre as well and you CAN get to the bulb without pulling the fairing but it's a booger if you've got big hands. Try looking under the fairing from below. The bulb sockets should be covered with rubber hoods. Pull those back, disconnect the wiring connecter by pulling on it (wiggle it a bit if it doesn't come easy) and pop the wire clip holding the bulb in the housing.
        Same process for the Post's. You've covered it all.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

(A) If the bike has never had the bulb changed previously, there's a phillipshead screw holding the latch in at the end which latches -- that screw needs to come out. Then you can unlatch the retaining latch and change bulbs via the methods listed above. I've never reinstalled the screw and I've never lost a headlight due to failure to reinstall the screw -- but it comes that way from the factory.

(B) Check the imprint in the metal ring for the bulb. If it says any numbers higher than 55/60, don't install it using the stock wiring harness/plugs. Those numbers represent wattage draw, and the stock wiring will burn (for some reason, the fuse isn't designed to blow-out on a 80/110 bulb, although it should).

Good luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone,.. I'll try it tonight if I get a chance and let you know how it turns out!

J
            ROCP

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              you CAN get to the bulb without pulling the fairing but it's a booger if you've got big hands
              Holy smokes Wild-Bill,... you weren't kidding! Well, after losing much of my upper layer of epidermal cells I finally managed to get these suckers installed - only to find out that 1 of the bulbs was defective! It didn't come on when in Low Beam mode. Hmmm,... let's call this Murphy's Law for Motorcycle Mods #1 - If you don't test it before you install it, it will be defective.

Take it all apart again,... go and exchange the bulb,... reinstall, rub forearms with skin lotion.

I have to say,... I'm starting to understand the allure of working on and customizing your own bike because although it was just a simple headlight mod,... I'm still grinning from ear to ear!

Anyway, as far as I can tell they look great in the garage but I still don't know what the look like when riding because of Murphy's Law for Motorcycle Mods #2 - After completing a mod, no matter how small, it will rain. *sigh* Hopefully the weekend will be nice.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

j
              ROCP

Comment

Working...
              X