Brake light remains on

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake light remains on

I have had this happen to me twice.. Im not sure what is causing it but:

Sometimes when I turn off the bike, the brake light remains on.

I havent been able to reproduce it.. holding brake levers and turning off the bike didnt do it. Holding the brake levers and leaving the brights didnt do it..

I am not sure what causes it.. but I dont want to have to get a jump because of it.

You didn't by chance turn the key one notch too far and hit Park did you?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

That would be the most likely cause... that or the ignition is loose and it's registering "park" once in a while in the off key position.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        +1--I have done that a couple of times. Looking at the wiring diagram, that or something wrong with the keyswitch are the only options.

Comment

yeah, i'm gonna have to agree with everyone, it's probably going into park. i did that once when i went to class. thankfully it was only a 45 minute class and the battery was still alive when i got back.
          2004 Katana
          GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I'm guilty of doing that a few times. Now I look like a dweeb every time I lock my ignition, it looks like I'm kissing my tail light when I check to see if it's on

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

+1

The only way to get it into "P" is to also lock the steering. Do you remember doing that during those instances?
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

As the others noted, moving the key to P (park) is the only way to get the brake light on with the key off. Even if the rear brake switch was sticking (does happen -- I recommend pulling it down all the way and spraying it with WD-40 to "wash" it at every oil change), turning the key to off would still kill the power to the bulb.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Park? First bike...

Are you talking about the steering wheel lock?

Im completely new.. The key was out... sooo... is park leaving the light on for some odd reason?

Whats the function of park?

The other lights were off, including the dash.
                  Last edited by KrAzE; 04-28-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KrAzE View Post
                    Park? First bike...

Are you talking about the steering wheel lock?

Im completely new.. The key was out... sooo... is park leaving the light on for some odd reason?

Whats the function of park?

The other lights were off, including the dash.
                    Why in the world is there a park function? other then making me look like an idiot because I left my lights on.....!
                    Originally posted by arsenic
                    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Stuck on the side of the freeway at dark waiting on a ride and don't want to be hit?.... hrm... just the tail light on will last alot longer than running all lights for the battery.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                        Why in the world is there a park function? other then making me look like an idiot because I left my lights on.....!
                        If you ever park in a narrow valley that's blanketed with fog, you'll be glad the feature is there...

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

you're glad it's there untill some drunk uses it for an aiming point thinking he's following a vehicle and staying onna road
                          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Are you over the age of 65?
                            -
                            -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Park is good but I just use the flashers.

Which Kats don't have, so keep on PARKing it
                              sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
                              A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

Working...
                              X