X

A couple of mods....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of mods....

Hey everybody, I'm going to try to "enhance" the electrical system on the kat. I want to add running light functionality to the front turn signals and also add a switch that allows me to turn the headlight off while the bike is running (I should say engine is running....I wouldn't ride it without the headlight being on). I am aware of a device that I can buy that will allow me to add running lights to the front turn signals, but I have a lot of miscellaneous parts laying around and I like to tinker.

Here is a ROUGH schematic of how I might set this up. I wanted to run this by the seasoned vets before I go to town. Constructive criticism is welcomed. I guess destructive criticism can be submitted as well, I'll just ignore it.

thanks!

Joe

sorry for the crappy picture. Essentially, I'll use a dual feed relay for the front turn signals. The switched side of the relay will come from the "hot" running light wire for the taillight coming out of the ignition switch (when switch is in "on" position).

For the headlight, I'll add a switched relay circuit to the "hot" low-beam lead coming from the ignition switch (in "on" position).

I have yet to consult the wiring diagram and, rest assured, I will. Modifications to the existing wiring will be done after the fuse box. Each additional circuit will be fused as well.

Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by joe; 04-27-2009, 01:19 AM.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Have you read about using the rear dual filiment brake light socket to serve as front running lights and turn signals?

I've done both the running light gizmo and using the rear brake light for the turn signals and I prefer the gizmo because the bulbs burn brighter. It makes me more visible.

Will you be occasionaly turning off the headlight so as not to run down the battery at idle or while starting it? If so I've just run my hand behind the headlight and poped off the sockets for just the length of time that I need it off.
    Last edited by squiggy; 04-27-2009, 02:31 AM.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to convert the single filament sockets to dual filament. As for the headlight, I don't really have an overwhelming need to modify it, I just like to install switches into things.....it's a sickness.
      "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

[sickness]

Cyber's simple solution: modify the front blinkers into blinker + running lights with a separate LED bulb, plug that into the electrical system and don't even futz with the other stuff. Drill, pop in the bulb retainer, pop in the LED bulb, then wire it to an ignition-hot source...

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Interesting idea. You lost me at "electrical" but I hope it pans out the way you're try it to. Seems like you have a good idea about what you're talking about. Good luck!!

Comment

Do what CP said.

Looking at what you drew for a schematic on the left, you converted your signals to running lights, but joined the hot wires together - eliminating the possibility of having separate turn signals, but ending up with 4 way flashers instead. Unless, the signals operate on a ground switch, but I haven't looked at the wiring diagram either.

Again, do what CP said. Come to think of it, I might do what CP said too

Thanks CP!

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
              You lost me at "electrical"
              A girlfriend said that to me once, we're now married

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Going with the rear brake light socket is really a simple mod. Since you'll need to wire up a 12v signal for the LED, the same can be done with the brake light socket.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

The web is wonderful! Check this out, no need to farg with the bulb sockets.
                  2000 Katana 600
                  2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                    Do what CP said.

Looking at what you drew for a schematic on the left, you converted your signals to running lights, but joined the hot wires together - eliminating the possibility of having separate turn signals, but ending up with 4 way flashers instead. Unless, the signals operate on a ground switch, but I haven't looked at the wiring diagram either.

Again, do what CP said. Come to think of it, I might do what CP said too

Thanks CP!

The schematic that I drew leaves out the stock turn signal wiring; I will leave that in place and install this additional circuit utilizing a dual filament bulb and socket....or, I might try some of the other ideas mentioned.

Thanks for the input everybody!

Comment

if you check the skoot's wiring diagram, you'll notice a brown and black/white pair unused up in the front of the bike. guess what? that's the FACTORY plug in for front running lights. you just need to hunt around the nose of the skoot and find um, but they're there.

far as switching the headlight, just find the yellow/white wire before it goes to the left grip switch pod and switch that. it's the main power for the headlights. (my diagram for a '90 750 shows that wire as yellow/white. check your factory diagram for your bike for color. you could also just switch the whole lights circut right after the fuse block (orange/blue wire exiting the fuse block). matter o fact, the headlight yellow/white wire is jumpered at the connection for the right grip switch assy for european bikes that already have the headlight kill switch from the factory. just switch it there too. power comes into that block as orange/red, and exits as yellow/white.

you're making WAY too much work for yourself drawing schematics and wiring relays. It's all there already. just be sure to check your factory schematic for correct color combos.
                      Last edited by DumbLuck; 04-29-2009, 01:43 AM.
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

cool, thanks for the tips D.L.!

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                          if you check the skoot's wiring diagram, you'll notice a brown and black/white pair unused up in the front of the bike. guess what? that's the FACTORY plug in for front running lights. you just need to hunt around the nose of the skoot and find um, but they're there.
                          on the 98+, the same circuit/plug is located by outside of the frame close to the battery area.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM.
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X