X

Battery woes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery woes

Hopefully this is just my battery... Seems if i let the bike sit for to long the battery is dead and i have to charge it to get it going. Im talking like a few days. Been trying to start it every day and its been alright had to charge it once. Today it started up fairly easy after riding around for a little while yesterday. I made it 3 miles down the road and stopped to talk, shut the bike off for a minute and it wouldnt start back up. I also think I need to adjust my idle but thats another topic for another day, right now Im annoyed my bike wont reliably start especially since I want to be able to go somewhere and not have to worry about if my bike is going to start after im done eating or whatever. I think I may go buy a new battery tomorrow and see how thats goes. Is this a fairly common problem? This is my first bike Im still very unfamiliar with everything.
    My first bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX-F

could be the battery or could be that there is something grounding out somewhere slightly draining the battery, with an ohm meter you can check and see if the battery is getting trickled slightly by something.

I ran into this many times with peoples Ski's, usually I just told them to disconnect the pos side of the battery when not in use but I see on a bike that would be a pain in the arse doing everyday.

Comment

Ill replace the battery regardless I can get a good deal. If that doesnt work Ill try testing. Ill test regardless actually None of my tools are at home here so its problematic. any other impute would be great.

Comment

good way to go, cant go wrong there...

Comment

Havn't replaced the battery but the bike was great today. Didnt have to charge it when I started it today. She started up everytime I wanted it to. Seems to be alright, still getting a new battery with my tires though.

Comment

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/batteryprint.php?id=9

Comment

Simple basics:

(A) Battery loses 25-40% of it's remaining storage capacity every time it's run really low. Do it too often and you'll lower the battery's permanent storage capacity to the point it won't have enough juice to start the bike.

(B) Get a charger -- Deltran BatteryTender Waterproof 800 is currently my recommendation (literally waterproof -- you can leave it in the rain plugged in and not worry). Comes with an ring-terminal wiring kit to let you permanently mount the leads to the battery, so all you have to do is lift the seat, pull out the wire plug and plug it in (you can even latch the seat back down with the plug hanging out). Get in the habit of plugging it in whenever you're not riding the bike. It'll more than double a typical battery's lifespan (in years).

(C) There are some upgrade batteries available for your year/make/model that will store more juice than the OEM battery (same brand, just more plates in the battery). You can find them on my webpage under battery specs here:
              motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X