Modifying Bandit 12 Headlights to perform closer to the Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Bandit 12 Headlights to perform closer to the Katana

Hi,

Ever since I "upgraded" my '06 750 to my current Bandit, I miss the Katana's headlight configuration.

As you all know, on the Kat (at least the Canadian 05-06 models) both headlights are always on. They use dual-intensity bulbs just like in cars and provide excellent road illumination.

On the Bandit, the system is much weaker IMHO. There is the regular bulb, which sits behind a frosted reflector, giving out very weak light; and the high-beam bulb sitting behind a clear reflector, that blinds incoming cars even in twilight and still provides weaker road illumination than the Kat's configuration.

Would it be possible to use 2 dual intensity light bulbs behind clear reflectors (as in the kat) and use them both at the same time?

What kind of modifications would be needed for that?

Is this the Bandit that has the two "projector" headlights?

If so there was a guy over at sport-touring.net that did a OEM to Hella projector headlight conversion. You might search there. Also Maximum Suzuki is a haven for the Bandit community. You can try there as well even though you'll need to register.

Here are a couple conversions I found:

Last edited by squiggy; 04-24-2009, 09:40 AM.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Wow it seems I stumbled onto a very common gripe with the B12.

I will investigate the issue, the links you provided are a great starting point, thanks a lot.

As my bike is still pretty new ('05 model bought new in '07 with only 9000 km on the clock so far) I do not suffer from the black dust problem. I will definitely check out the wiring harness though. The Hella conversion seems interesting, although I might try with just the wiring harness at first.

Unfortunately, it seems that even using the new Hella projectors and an uprated harness still leaves the bandit lighting much inferior to the Kat

I would also like to note that Suzuki seems to have gotten this right with the 2006+ Bandit redesign as the lighting system is much superior. On par with the Kat's system IMO.
      Last edited by Tech; 04-24-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

What you might also consider is driving lights. I installed Piaa 1100X lights to the Kat to give me extra lights in the winter or night time riding.

If you go this route, you'll need to see how you can mount them to the Bandit, though.

Here's some pics of that mod. I just fabed-up some homemade light bracket for the lights.

Last edited by squiggy; 04-24-2009, 12:49 PM.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
        X