X

battery on my last nerve...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery on my last nerve...

battery problems have haunted me since i bought this bike... the day i picked it up it had a dead battery... jumped it at the dealership rode it 2 hours home parked it and battery was still dead... replaced the battery, 3 months later without warning dead battery... replaced it again 1 year no problems dead battery... every time they die they never take a charge again... and its not like i let the battery drain and just sit there dead... ill go out and start it up ride it all day and come back 2 days later and its dead.... no i dont turn the key all the way back and turn on the parking light... the last time i put a new battery in it i had them check the charging system and they said all was fine... i just rode the bike 3 days ago with no problem, went out this morning 70 deg and sunny today... and the freaking thing was dead again!!! i went out and bought a battery tender today. hopefully that will help... anyone else have these problems or is it just me?
    Do The Chicken Dance

I'd would check to make sure something isn't causing an intermittent grounding of the battery. A small exposed wire that is hot, etc...

Also make sure your connections are clean for the charging system, and no problems there.

If multiple times the battery just dies quick like, with multiple different batteries, that would be what I look for.

A battery tender may help as your now providing a regular alternate charging source. It may make the symptom go away, but not nessasary fix it. I'd look for the cause.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

is there any aftermarket lighting on the bike?
      I've seen some jury rigged up Led lighting on a Harley that would kill the battery cause some Jabrone wired the LED's directly to the battery.

If there is no Led kit, start checking the wiring. and now that your bike is coming up on 3 years old, probably time to grab some Di-eltic grease and re-grease the connections all around.
      (CP should chime in on this about the Grease)

Comment

Originally posted by Rodimus View Post
        I've seen some jury rigged up Led lighting on a Harley that would kill the battery cause some Jabrone wired the LED's directly to the battery.

If there is no Led kit, start checking the wiring. and now that your bike is coming up on 3 years old, probably time to grab some Di-eltic grease and re-grease the connections all around.
        (CP should chime in on this about the Grease)
        Yeah. i have a led light kit on the bike, but the instructions that came with it told me to hook it up straight to the battery, is this wrong?... but at the same time, the light kit was only on the bike for 1/2 of the time i have had these problems... i also might add that i bought the bike brand new in april of 07 so its about 2 years 2 weeks old 15.8k on the miles but i went -1 on the front sprocket at about 5k miles... so true miles unknown... thanks for the help so far
        Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

if the problems persisted after the removal of the LED's then its time to track down the problem. check the connections everywhere. (i know it sounds like a big chore) but start at the battery. Check the ground to frame wire to see if there is good contact there. It is time consuming and aggravating, but less time consuming and aggravating than having to jump start your bike every time you want to go ride. You might want to grab the online service manuals here on KR (for the Wiring diagrams). I am willing to bet something is probably loose causing power loss.
          Also before you start check all your fuses too (including the ones on the starter Relay)

Comment

if the problems persisted after the removal of the LED's then its time to track down the problem. check the connections everywhere. (i know it sounds like a big chore) but start at the battery. Check the ground to frame wire to see if there is good contact there. It is time consuming and aggravating, but less time consuming and aggravating than having to jump start your bike every time you want to go ride. You might want to grab the online service manuals here on KR (for the Wiring diagrams). I am willing to bet something is probably loose causing power loss.
            Also before you start check all your fuses too (including the ones on the starter Relay)
            sweet thanks for the tips, ill get on all of that in the morning and let you all know what i find or dont find lol
            Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                awesome.
                "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

well i checked everything and it all seems fine, wires are all clean and still look bran new idk. is there a better way to wire the leds?
                  Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Working...
                  X