X

Lights not working right.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights not working right.....

My buddy and I just did the "shovel chop" and installed a set of flush mounted rear leds(check out my pics)....Not sure if it was before or after the chop,(first time bikes been out at night since getting it home from the shop....)but all my running lights,i.e. dash,front 3rd light,brake,and license plate,dont work in the on position!!The weird thing is,they all work just fine in the park position!!The headlights work fine in either position,but I noticed the turn signals are blinking faster than usual.....I'm not sure if it's a wiring issue,an Led issue,or just the Ignition switch itself......Any advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=107018844
    http://www.youtube.com/user/neoshifter

Genesis 9:6
    Whosoever sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed......RIP Daniel A. Mguire,you'll always be in my heart brother.

Check your grounds at the rear by the lights, did you forget to hook one back up?
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Turn signals are blinking at twice the norm, because you didnt use a load equalizer with the led add ons.
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by neoshifter View Post
        but I noticed the turn signals are blinking faster than usual
        Going from regular bulbs to LED's poses a resistance problem. The LED's don't draw enough power to trigger the flasher correctly, so they blink faster. I did this on mine and actually liked the fast flash, more light ya know?

If you want to fix it, you have to pop a resistor in there.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
          Check your grounds at the rear by the lights, did you forget to hook one back up?
          No,everything is connected....

Originally posted by Scout View Post
          Turn signals are blinking at twice the norm, because you didnt use a load equalizer with the led add ons.
          Would that explain all the running lights only working in the park position,and not in the on position though?!If so,where would be a good place to pick one up?!
          Last edited by neoshifter; 04-12-2009, 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Whosoever sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed......RIP Daniel A. Mguire,you'll always be in my heart brother.

Comment

Would that explain all the running lights only working in the park position,and not in the on position though?!If so,where would be a good place to pick one up?!
            No. That part is a blank to me. Check your wiring, you might have crossed them, or shorted something. Check online for a load equalizer. All that will do, though, is make your LEDs flash at the same rate as OEM bulbs.
            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
            Semper Fi

Comment

keep in mind i'm working with colors from a pre wiring diagram. You may have to study the wiring diagram for your particular bike, but the basics laid out here are the same.

what happens is the red wire brings power to the ignition switch. when it is in the ON setting, power comes back out via the Orange wire, to the fuse block. From there, the light circut runs BACK to the ignition switch via the Orange/Blue wire from the fuse block, changes to Gray at a connector block (associated with the right handlebar controls) on the way, and from there back to the ignition switch. Power for the lights and such then exits the ignition switch via the Brown wire to the always on running lights, tail light, lic plate lite, and 3rd eye.

When the key is in the Park setting, power is sent directly from the Red main power wire to the Brown wire powering ONLY the always on running lights, bypassing all other electrical (ign, headlight, gauges, etc.)

My bet is your fuse for the lighting circut (Orange/Blue) is toast, or you have a bad connection somewhere between the fuse block and connector block for the right control in the orange/blue wire or from that connector in the grey wire to the ignition switch.

have i confused you well enough?
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                keep in mind i'm working with colors from a pre wiring diagram. You may have to study the wiring diagram for your particular bike, but the basics laid out here are the same.

what happens is the red wire brings power to the ignition switch. when it is in the ON setting, power comes back out via the Orange wire, to the fuse block. From there, the light circut runs BACK to the ignition switch via the Orange/Blue wire from the fuse block, changes to Gray at a connector block (associated with the right handlebar controls) on the way, and from there back to the ignition switch. Power for the lights and such then exits the ignition switch via the Brown wire to the always on running lights, tail light, lic plate lite, and 3rd eye.

When the key is in the Park setting, power is sent directly from the Red main power wire to the Brown wire powering ONLY the always on running lights, bypassing all other electrical (ign, headlight, gauges, etc.)

My bet is your fuse for the lighting circut (Orange/Blue) is toast, or you have a bad connection somewhere between the fuse block and connector block for the right control in the orange/blue wire or from that connector in the grey wire to the ignition switch.

have i confused you well enough?
                oh that may have just solved my issue with lights as well. thanks for that in depth explanation

Comment

Originally posted by ADyingBreed View Post
                  oh that may have just solved my issue with lights as well. thanks for that in depth explanation
                  you're welcome, it was my pleasure. please be sure to check the right wiring diagram for your scoot reguarding wire colors. this is only a GENERAL basic explanation, which most skoots seem to follow, but NOT all.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

That is some awesome info Dumbluck!!I'm going to take it one step at a time(fuses),and work my way up through the wiring......I'm thinking(and hoping)it's just an easy fix that I'm overlooking.....Thanks!!

Comment

Yes.....I crossed wires,and blew a fuse!!I'm just glad it was a small problem,and not a big one!!Thanks again all for the advice.
                      Last edited by neoshifter; 05-02-2009, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Yes.....I crossed wires,and blew a fuse!!I'm just glad it was a small problem,and not a big one!!Thanks again all for the advice.
                        good then there is hope for me because i hadnt checked it yet. far too busy to just pop some new fuses in lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                          No. That part is a blank to me. Check your wiring, you might have crossed them, or shorted something. Check online for a load equalizer. All that will do, though, is make your LEDs flash at the same rate as OEM bulbs.
                          electronic flashers are available for the LED issue.
                          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                          X