No announcement yet.
X

Dead bike.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now someone else is telling me it could be a bad ignition box/black box possibly located towards the rear of the bike...any ideas?

Comment

Would it be the kick stand switch ?

Comment

I wouldn't think so because I don't have any lights. Even if the switch wasn't working properly I should still see my lights, shouldn't I?

Comment

Sounds to me like you have a bad fuse or connection. Might be a bad connection at a fuse. You need to start traceing the wiring between the batt and the keyswitch to see if power is getting to the switch. I don't have a wiring diagram to look at here, but comonly in auto and boat stuff these wires will be red or orange (Batt power all the time). Use a test light to see if you have power. Ground the testlight to the motor first and put the probe on the pos batt terminal if it lights you have a ground connection if not check the batt ground wire connections at both ends. Now start checking with the testlight on the way towards the ignition switch. If you have power to the switch turn on the ignition switch and see if you have power from the switch. Switched Batt positive wires are commonly purple. Colors may vary on the bike but purple is the color for many things. If you have power to the swich and none coming out when the switch is turned on the switch itself is probably the culprit.

On another note make sure you get the bike home or secured very well somehow. A bike sitting day after day in the same place will get noticed by thieves.

At this point I doubt you need any expensive parts. Troubleshooting wiring can be a ***** sometimes, but this sounds pretty straight forward. You are probably going to kick yourself for missing it when you do find it.

James
          Last edited by pilotdada1; 04-03-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

The reason you aren't getting spark is the kill switch is in open (kill) unless there is power to it or bypassed. I agree its a bad connection or fuse.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Yeah those fuses can be tricky
              Pray Ride Live Love

1994 GSX600F

Comment

Unless I read it wrong he gets nothing when he turns the key on, no headlights no neutral indicator no oil pressure light, no crank when he hits the starter. I went out and checked my 05 and the lights still come on even with the kill switch off. I'm betting bad ground or bad fuse or connection between the batt and the keyswitch.
                James

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdada1 View Post
                  Unless I read it wrong he gets nothing when he turns the key on, no headlights no neutral indicator no oil pressure light, no crank when he hits the starter. I went out and checked my 05 and the lights still come on even with the kill switch off. I'm betting bad ground or bad fuse or connection between the batt and the keyswitch.
                  James
                  You are right, I probably didn't write it clearly. The kill switch has NOTHING to do with the lights, it simply opens and closes the circuit to the ignition. I was just saying the reason he has no spark is he probably isn't getting the power to the kill switch which may be on the same circuit as the other. Fis the lights and he will get spark back. I did have a similar problem a few years ago but I can't for the life of me remember the cause. I know it tooks hours of troubleshooting and ended up being something stupid like a bad connection or such.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I had a buddy that had a similar problem, it was a broken wire running to the ignition switch, when he turned the key on it didn't make contact at all, no lights, no nothin. It took us for ever to find it. We started tracing wires one by one and finally found it.
                    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Alright guys, it's fixed. Had a friend come over who knows about bikes and we found the culprit. The green 6 prong waterproof connector that connects the wires from the ignition switch to the wires coming from the fuse box had a corroded prong that broke, the one connecting the red wire (main power to ignition). See the picture and beware of this happening to you. My bike has only 2300 miles on it but there has been a lot of rain in the past 12 months, so I think that may have been the cause of corrosion. You can't just get this connector from Suzuki, you have to replace the entire ignition switch for the female end and buy the entire wiring for the male end. We just used wire crimps and connected them and wrapped it up as best as we could with electrical tape. We'll see how long it lasts. Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by PWilliams84; 04-06-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Good find, I'd replace those wire crimps with a solder connection when you get a chance. You don't want the vibration or wind causing one of them to fail.

Comment

Twisting wires together and taping them is a pretty sure-fire way to get stranded somewhere. That style of connector is called "Molex". (Don't ask me, I think it's a brand name.) Check an auto parts place for a 6-pin molex connector and they should be able to come up with something you can use to replace both sides with. Pack it full of dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion and voila! you're back to being able to disconnect when/if you ever need to. While you've got the dielectric grease out, hit every other connector you can find. Florida has a lot of humidity and salt in the air, both of which cause corrosion to happen really fast. If one connector has gone then others may not be too far behind.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                          X