• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Fan (E33)

Just wondering about this.
    Was digging around looking for info on headlight stuff
    ran across this cooling fan for the 98+
    Any one know what an E33 is?
    Is that like the European model or something?
    Would this fit on any 98+ kat?

I haven't had any oil issues yet, but it does get pretty hot here sometimes in the summer. It'd be nice to have a factory fan system to help out with the heat on those hot days in traffic and stuff.
    Even if the bike isn't overheating, just to help keep wear on the engine down. Hell I'd like to get some of those engine glow plugs too.
    For days like today, it was 30F outside when I left this morning, but it's supposed to be 60F when I get off, would have liked to ride in.
    I didn't have enough time to let the kat warm up, and it was pretty chilly out too. Would have been a cold ride in.

California model bikes have a fan that blows across the carbs when the bike is shut off (and kills the battery).
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      California model bikes have a fan that blows across the carbs when the bike is shut off (and kills the battery).
      LOL that sounds awesome
      Do the carbs even get that hot?
      If that's not an oil cooler fan, I'm not really interested

Edit----
      Chapter 1-9 in the service manual
      E-03 US
      E-33 California
      Last edited by KYT; 03-30-2009, 03:36 PM. Reason: Contry Codes

Comment

The point is to reduce emissions by preventing gasoline from boiling out of the hot carbs when the motor is warm.
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

hmm didn't know they could do that.
          Thanks

Comment

It's the main reason I think that bikes are going FI.... no gas to boil off, and o2 sensors in the exhaust to adjust the mix.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KYT View Post
              It'd be nice to have a factory fan system to help out with the heat on those hot days in traffic and stuff.
              Even if the bike isn't overheating, just to help keep wear on the engine down.
              There's a fantastic guy, and very handsome too, on this board that installed oil cooler fans on his Katana. The link to his install is below.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
              mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I'm guessing my battery is perhaps a bit low, and this carb fan caused the battery to run down. Why tho would it stay on for 10 minutes after a 5 minute ride. And if it's not necessary how do you disconnect it?

Comment

Originally posted by av8tor808 View Post
                  I'm guessing my battery is perhaps a bit low, and this carb fan caused the battery to run down. Why tho would it stay on for 10 minutes after a 5 minute ride. And if it's not necessary how do you disconnect it?

Trace from the fan to the wiring harness to find the connector plug. Un-plug it there and you can just leave it. Generally easier to pull the left side fairing out a bit from the middle to reach in and find the plug. It's only about 6" from the fan.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X