X

Lost Power To A Few Things...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Power To A Few Things...

I was riding my Katana last summer when all of a sudden my speedometer, odometer, tail light, and I forget what else, just stopped working. I managed to locate a brown wire that was just hanging there under the cluster. So I ran it direct to the battery and everything worked again. Only problem was the tail light was always on if the bike was off, so I installed a toggle switch as a temporary fix. Well that fix became permanent for the summer and I'm at the point where I want to get rid of the switch. I was curious if someone could tell me which wire (or wires) I could splice into in order to have my bike working properly again. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your help! (in advance)

That brown wire you speak of came from your ignition switch. Turn the key, everything works. The toggle switch is serving the same purpose. You need to find out where it broke off from.

Comment

Brown is the always on tail light/marker light circut. the loose brown you found up front is the unused lead for front marker lights (not a stock item). your tail light should always be on with the ignition on. the red wire runs power INTO the ignition switch, and orange OUT back to the fuse block. Orange/blue then runs to a junction block up front where it changes to grey. Grey runs the gauges, and also runs back to the ignition switch and exits as Brown. Brown then runs the always on with ign on tail light/marker circut.

When the key is turned to park, Red is directly connected to brown to light up the tail light.

The tail light bulb is dual filiment. one filiment, always on tail light (brown). other filiment is the stop lamp (white/black) only lit with brakes on.
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

According to your wiring diagram, the brown wire is powered from the ignition switch. I would say access the switch and find the brown wire, check for power at that wire (with the key on). Keep following that wire from the switch and find where it no longer has power. That point is where you need to make your repair.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
          That brown wire you speak of came from your ignition switch. Turn the key, everything works. The toggle switch is serving the same purpose. You need to find out where it broke off from.

Originally posted by GregS View Post
          According to your wiring diagram, the brown wire is powered from the ignition switch. I would say access the switch and find the brown wire, check for power at that wire (with the key on). Keep following that wire from the switch and find where it no longer has power. That point is where you need to make your repair.
          Last edited by Kfreak; 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Then again since you lost power to more than just the lights that are on the brown wire circuit, you won't have power at the switch. So you are going to be looking for power coming into the switch. Have you already checked the obvious, the fuses?

Sorry Katanafreak if it seemed like I repeated you. You seemed to imply that the brown wire was an input to the switch (it's not) and it was also mentioned that the wire that was dangling was not supposed to be plugged into anything.

Comment

No sorry's needed. Usually when I find a wire I have to follow it. I took a quick glance at my book for the wiring diagram. I have a hard time explaining things. I'm a hands on person that when presented with a problem I'll go and fix it.

Comment

I've received the same problem on my 2006 gsx600f.

happened shortly after hitting a 130mph, few miles later dash went black & no readings on either. When i got to work i realized my tail lights and blinkers weren't working either. I checked the fuse box under the seat and the "meter" fuse was blown. replaced it and everything worked til i started the bike and it blew instantly. When I got home, i replaced the fuse again and nothing came on. started the bike, it didnt blow and still no lights.

After taking half the bike apart trying to trace down a red/yellow wire that was connected to the fuse that kept blowing. it reads hot all the way to the cluster.

I did as Slomies done.. but found a brown wire (under the seat off the relay next to the fuses) and connected it directly to the battery, running lights instantly on. The dash doesnt get power til i turn the key to the on position. I start the bike, and the fuse doesnt blow.... could install a toggle and rig it, but as Slomies says, my temp fix will end up permanent.

Any more info on this problem? Sorry to resurrect an older post. (didnt want to start a new thread for the same problem)

UPDATE:
                I jumped the brown wire to an orange wire under the seat behind the fuses. since orange is only hot when the key is on. everything seems to work. if anyone knows of a reason i shouldn't do this. please let me know before i become a flaming ball of fire going down the highway.
                Last edited by taternate; 08-22-2009, 01:16 PM. Reason: update

Comment

::broken record:: brown is the always on tail light/marker circuit. when the key is on power comes from the main breaker via red to the ing switch, back to the fuse block via orange. from the block, back to the ign switch via grey(powers other lights), and back out via the brown to the always on tail/markers. when the key is in park, power comes from the main breaker via the red to the ign switch, and out to the always on tail/marker via the brown.

you're jumpering to the brown bypassing the ign switch and fuses, feeding power to the gauges and such backwards thru the circuit.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                  X