X

New bike brake light problems.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike brake light problems.

Hi all this is my first post. Just bought an 01 katana today and have a few issues I want to correct. First and foremost is the rear taillight. The previous owner had installed aftermarket clear turn signals and a clear taillight assembly. Problem is the rear brake light blinks and its very dim, not safe I would assume. Also theres no running light. This is my first bike and i took a look at it but wasnt sure where to start. Also the clear lense is turning yellow I figure ill try polishing it before replacing it. Anyway I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to start.
    My first bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX-F

If you have no running lights check the fuse and check all splices under the seat
    some guys are hacks

It is likely a Clear Alternatives system

I have one sitting beside me in a box that I am debating installing because a lot of people dont think they are bright enough and I ride the highway every day GET THE PICTURE
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

yea it looks just like that.Is there anyway I can make it brighter? A new bulb? If i wanted to make it stock again would that be expensive? Its so dim Its almost not worth having its sad.

Comment

does it have a bulb or LED's
        If it has a bulb what number is stamped into the base
        It is possible that half of a bulb is burnt out -no running light
        If it has a bulb you need to find a red replacement or replacement and red lense from a wrecker or here in parts for sale or from Suzuki dealer
        Last edited by rexazz2; 03-29-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Took it apart its an led cluster. They are very dim even out of the taillight assembly. It does look like someone hacked the bliners and all that together , It also has aftermarket plate lights, those led ones that are in the bolts, They dont work either Im assuming that the running light and plate lights are on the same wire. Maybe the leds are drawing enough power?

edit could this have anything to do with a weak battery maybe? I noticed I killed the battery yesturday when i got the bike home didnt ride it or anything but after a few start ups and sitting at idle for ten mins tops it was dead. Noticed the headlights get brighter when I give it throttle to.
          Last edited by wyzat520; 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyzat520 View Post
            Took it apart its an led cluster. They are very dim even out of the taillight assembly. It does look like someone hacked the bliners and all that together , It also has aftermarket plate lights, those led ones that are in the bolts, They dont work either Im assuming that the running light and plate lights are on the same wire. Maybe the leds are drawing enough power?
            LEDs don't draw as much power as bulbs
            You'd need a whole bunch of them
            If there's too much power going to them, you'll burn them out.

LEDs don't work exactly like a bulb.
            If you pass only a little current through a bulb it'll come on just a little.
            LEDs have a steeper grade for power.
            Not sure how to explain it..
            From 0% power to full 100% power, an LED may not actually kick on until, we'll just say 10%. So from 10%-100% you have light. If you go over 100% capacity, they burn out. Just like a bulb, only less tolerant.
            They can't brighten and dim as well a bulb can either. They like to be ON or OFF.
            Where a bulb can start making some kinda of light you can see at 1-2% power.

Sorry if that sounds dumb, its the best way I can think of to explain it.
            With that in mind, either you're getting just barely enough power for them to come on, or maybe they're going out.

Disconnect the wires and see how much power you're getting to the LEDs.
            Then check for resistance through the bulbs.

I don't know enough about electronics to tell you how to figure out what they're supposed to read. But if its really high, that might be the problem.
            I think most testers consider anything >=40ohms as 'open'
            Maybe check the resistance on a regular bulb and see what it is.
            I would guess the LEDs should be pretty close or less

Comment

lights will usually dim or flash with signal at idle even if you have a new battery
              Did you check the fuses ??
              I am not sure of lenght of life of these LED boards
              Do you have a test light ?

Comment

Throw the LED set up away and buy the right bulb..
                That is a generic bulb, common to almost all suzukis.
                I found them at the AutoZone last weekend, two for like $2-3??
                In fact the ones I bought are slightly brighter, (2 or 3 watts worth..)

While you're there they might have red lens paint..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  Throw the LED set up away and buy the right bulb..
                  That is a generic bulb, common to almost all suzukis.
                  I found them at the AutoZone last weekend, two for like $2-3??
                  In fact the ones I bought are slightly brighter, (2 or 3 watts worth..)

While you're there they might have red lens paint..

problem is the origianal socket and every thing will be gone , but I agree to convert back to stock set up

try Arsenic , he may have a stock unit
                  Last edited by rexazz2; 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I was thinking I should just get a stock bulb, it would be easier. I need to rewire evertyhing anyway some hack really did a great job... not. I do know enough as far as testing for current and all that to check I jsut havent had a chance. I checked the fuses they looked fine. I mean the brake light does work just not well. And theres no running light. Theres a few extra wires back there not doing anything so ill have to check what those are for. Theres also a stock connector that coming from the rest of the bike but doesnt have anything plugged into it. Possible thats for the running lights. Right now the bike wont start and im not sure if its the battery. It died last night and started again after I charged it for a bit but no luck tonight. Gunna let it sit for a little while. It sounds like it has enough juice it turns but wont rev up.

Got it to start sounded like it wasnt getting fuel just switched the fuel switch from on to pri and back and it started The choke seems funky but ill deal with that later it seems to level out once its warm. Anyway noticed another thing when it was dark, no intrument panel lights and the clock isnt on. What fuse are the running lights on? Ill have more time after work tommorow to play with it.
                    Last edited by wyzat520; 03-30-2009, 09:49 PM.

Comment

wiring:
                      black/white stripe : Ground
                      Brown(s) : always on tail light, license plate, and markers (12v with ign. on)
                      Green : Right Turn Signal
                      Black : Left Turn Signal
                      White/Black : stop lamp

b/w & brown always with ign on 12v
                      b/w & green only with power & R signal sw on - should pulse/flash 12v
                      b/w & black only with power & L signal sw on - should pulse/flash 12v
                      b/w & Black/white only with power & brakes on - 12v
                      Last edited by DumbLuck; 03-31-2009, 01:30 PM.
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

So my brake light should NOT be flashing when the brake is applied right?

Comment

It could be someone added a brake light modulator. It flashes the light at 3/sec.
                          That cycle triggers the brain's autonomic system and "gets you noticed".
                          It as also the frequency that triggers seizures.. So you get noticed or the guy behind you seizes, and crashes into you...

It might be built into the LED array.

Comment

its more like a constant blink like the blinker im out int he garage now playing with it

Not sure what I did but now its got some sort of running light the leds cycle in a circle pattern untill brake are applied ...is this legal? haha still really dim and all the sudden the instrument panel comes on. I changed a fuse that wasnt blown just because it was a different red than the other ones... weird.

one more edit; It was just the fuse I was assuming the lights wouldnt work at all had the fuse been blown in the first place. Anyway all my lights work Im gong to wire everything the right way. IM still left with an extra factory connection that has a brown and b/w wire thats not connected to anything any idea what its for?

Do i need to remove my fairings to get the taillight lense thing out. In the dark you can see the talight but in the sun no way its a bad scene already.
                            Last edited by wyzat520; 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I need a whole new taillight and bulb The LEDs just are not bright enough and the housing was broke and glued on the inside but everything else now works right. Where coild I find all this? Or even an aftermarket set thats safe enough to actually use.

Comment

Working...
                              X