X

cool blue xenon questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool blue xenon questions

Anybody know anything about these???? Are they brighter than stock? price? seller? etc?
    thx
    sigpic
    Pepe Bouchard

These look like you run-of-the-mill eBay headlights. All these are are simple H4 halogen lights with a blue filter on the glass so they look like HID's. Are they brighter than stock? That depends on what you have in there now and how old it is. I'm willing to bet they may not be, but if you're after the HID look and don't want to pony up the $70 and a little time to get there, knock yourself out.

Comment

I don't like the fake "HID look" bulbs
      I don't think they're as bright
      The blue filter on the glass blocks out all other colors of light except for the blue.
      so you're only getting a small portion of visible light on the road.
      The bulbs I like to get are a step up from regular, and a step down from those Silverstars.
      I think they're called XTRA Vision or something like that
      you can get them at AutoZone.
      I don't like the silverstars because they don't seem to last as long as the regular halogen bulbs. Though the are brighter.
      The XTRA ones are brighter and clearer, I think, than the stock ones.
      Halogen looks orangey on the road, the XTRA ones are a less orange, more white.
      I think they say they are for daytime running lights or something.
      Doesn't matter as long as you get the right socket type.
      My wife used to have an 89 FZR, and the bulbs were worthless, so I put those in there, and they were brighter than the ones that came in my kat.
      The kat bulbs were about a year old.

I've been having trouble with my headlights, in another thread on this board, and I bought a pair of those xtra ones.
      Once I get the trouble figured out, I'm replacing the stock halogen bulbs with those.
      Going to get some for my car too, when I have another extra $20 for a pair.
      I think they're sylvania brand, but I'm not sure since I don't have them with me at work lol
      But I'm sure other brands make some that're similar.

SYLVANIA is the leading automotive lighting supplier, providing high performance lighting products. Use our bulb replacement guide to find the right bulb that fits your vehicle.

I bought some of the Silverstars for my car once, and they lasted about a month.
      I forgot I had put the xtravision ones in my wife's montecarlo for the daytime lamps, and they're still going.
      Based on this chart, the silverstars aren't much better than the xtras.
      and in a bike, they'll stay on more than my car.. so I don't see how it'd be worth it.
      All up to you though.
      Last edited by KYT; 03-24-2009, 02:26 PM. Reason: Link!

Comment

When you get them (if you were the buyer), before installing them, read the imprint in the metal base ring. If it says anything higher than 55/60, do NOT install them -- they will end up frying your OEM wiring (you can relay clean wires to feed them, but don't plug them into the stock wiring harness whatever you do -- seen too many Kats a-smoldering from doing that).

Meanwhile, KYT is spot on. For a big primer on how to get more light out of your Kat the "right" way, take a look at my Understanding Motorcycle Lighting & Lighting Upgrades webpage.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good info there, CP. Thanks.
          Nuff said.

Comment

Thanks, excellent write up CP. I moved to in New Mexico and 1. street lighting is abysmal 2. it gets dark in the desert (;-]). I'll go with some SilverStars
            Last edited by PepeBouchard; 05-08-2009, 02:02 PM.
            sigpic
            Pepe Bouchard

Comment

Silverstars here. Plenty bright and have been in the bike for close to a year now. No problems so far. Once this one burns out ill be buying the Silverstar Ultras.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                Meanwhile, KYT is spot on. For a big primer on how to get more light out of your Kat the "right" way, take a look at my Understanding Motorcycle Lighting & Lighting Upgrades webpage.
                article about the nanobulbs has changed
                to: http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/19636

Comment

This is what a 55watt 5000K HID looks like on low beam.... Well worth the money spent after driving it home tonight from the paint shop.
                  Representing the Pre's! Updated my Garage so have a look!

Comment

i have those exact lights my bikes blue thought they would enhance the look of the bike. They were a pain to install and i noticed no difference in brightness despite their little video showing how much brighter they are...ive actually reinstalled my originals
                    pveity = 100%

Comment

I just bought and installed some of those cool blue lights on my Kat. I was worried about whether they'd be brighter, but like Cheech said, I wasn't looking to pony up the extra cash just wanted to see what they'd look like. After installing the first one I turned the lights on and to be honest they are brighter then the stock. Now I'm not saying they are 100x brighter but it is noticeable. All I was really looking for. They're definitely not Silverstars, but they fit my needs just fine. Now I'll just have to see how long they last!!

Comment

Working...
                      X