Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

01 Kat 600 wiring harness question, please help!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 Kat 600 wiring harness question, please help!!!!!

Recently had headlights go out, did usual inspection and found melted block plugin from the lead from the main harness to the headlight block plugin. The headlight end is fine, but the main harness end is melted. Is there any way to fix/replace this without having to buy whole new harness as they are very expensive (and I don't want to "rig" it, want semi professional looking job)? I was thinking along the lines of a somehow getting a block with wires (similar to wiring harness for car stereos) and splicing that into main harness and plug block into headlight block harness. IS THERE ANYTHING LIKE THAT AVAILABLE??? Any help/advise would be great.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Since you posted twice and both times with different info, my answer to your other post doesn't apply in this case. However some of it does.

Originally I thought, in your other post and you used the same wording here, that the plug connector that actually goes to the headlight bulb assembly was burned.

But in this case, now you are showing a simple Male/female connector thats fried.

In this case... Any automotive plug end, male/female/ with the right number of wires, will meet your application. The rest of my advise in the original post applies.

Grab shrink tubing... Solder the wires one at a time, then slide the shrink tubing up and heat to protect the connection.

By The Way, word to the wise.. Next time you post, and leave a general statement like your other post... consider editing your original post to include the new info, like pics... etc.. It prevents those trying to help you from thinking different scenarios.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

What you have circled is not the headlight wiring harness. I know because that's my picture of my bike. What you have circled are the plugs for the handle bar controls, they are the grey and yellow colored plugs. Unless you still mean those plugs and are calling them the headlight wiring harness.

This is where you will find the headlight plug.

I had the same thing happen to me regarding the headlight plug, see the pics I posted in that link. I just searched and waited on ebay for a resonable priced wiring harness to show up. In the mean time I ran a temporary jumper wire untill I could buy a used harness.

But you can do what Newbie said and get an automotive 8 pin male/female plug with the metal contacts. Then one at a time, cut off and solder onto the new pins to make a new plug. An electronics store might have them.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I think I still have a complete, uncut 2001 Kat 750 wiring harness. They should be the same as the 01 600. Let me check tomorrow. IF you are interested PM me, I'll hook you up with a good deal.

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys. I ran a wire from the end that was fried and spliced it into the other end as a way to bypass. I'm in grad school and really don't have the time or money right now to fix it the correct way (new harness or automotive plug end) at this time, but I will def. take your guys advice when I have the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
            I think I still have a complete, uncut 2001 Kat 750 wiring harness. They should be the same as the 01 600. Let me check tomorrow. IF you are interested PM me, I'll hook you up with a good deal.
            I might be interested in that harness...I have a phantom in my headlight wiring somewhere...I had Thazkat look at it today, and he couldn't find the problem...might just say screw it and just re-wire it (per Md's suggestion). Let me know how much you want...and if it'll fit a '99 600.
            1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie View Post
              I might be interested in that harness...I have a phantom in my headlight wiring somewhere...I had Thazkat look at it today, and he couldn't find the problem...might just say screw it and just re-wire it (per Md's suggestion). Let me know how much you want...and if it'll fit a '99 600.
              Just noticed this reply.

Sorry. Let me know if you still want it. I don't know about it fitting the 600..post a thread, someone here will.

Comment

yes, it will

Comment

Working...
                X