X

handle switch pods?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handle switch pods?

i am planning out a few mods that i'm going to start in the near future and one being putting on new handle bar switch pods. have searched and can't seem to find anything on it. has any one put a post kat or a gsxr600 switch pod on a pre kat. if so what all needs to be done? do i need to get new clip ons and handle bars or can i just do a simple swap of the pods

Contemplating switching a pod out with something not originally intended for the bike isnt the problem, but the problems that might arise are:

Pod length bigger than original: Would need a longer tube, not a new clip-on.

Improper wire connections: Would have to do some wiring diagrams to figure what does what on the new pod to match the old Kat. Would also need to have matching plug ends for the new pod to splice into the existing wiring.

Is the pod switch on the throttle side?: Make sure that once its installed, theres no possibility of it causing the throttle to get hung up at any point through full range of motion, prior to actually going for a ride.

Be safe first... Instead of Sorry first.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I'm planning on this as well. In fact I've got all the parts, just waiting until I tear the fairings off the Kat for some normal maintenance to wire 'em up.

I'm using the RH pod AND the throttle tube / grip from a Bandit I think, but a later model Kat would work as well (many of the Suzuki bikes use the same pods pretty much) and the LH pod is from a Kat as well.

Just get the wiring schematic for the old pod and new pod, and splice it in. I went a bit further, and I bought two old pre 98 pods from KR members here, for cheap, and I'm using the plug off the old pods to wire into the newer pods, then shrink wrap / tape 'em up and just install 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
        Contemplating switching a pod out with something not originally intended for the bike isnt the problem, but the problems that might arise are:

Pod length bigger than original: Would need a longer tube, not a new clip-on.

Improper wire connections: Would have to do some wiring diagrams to figure what does what on the new pod to match the old Kat. Would also need to have matching plug ends for the new pod to splice into the existing wiring.

Is the pod switch on the throttle side?: Make sure that once its installed, theres no possibility of it causing the throttle to get hung up at any point through full range of motion, prior to actually going for a ride.

Be safe first... Instead of Sorry first.
        thanks for the info yes i am going to do it the safe way. don't have the parts yet just trying to gather as much research and info in as possible before going at it.

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
        I'm planning on this as well. In fact I've got all the parts, just waiting until I tear the fairings off the Kat for some normal maintenance to wire 'em up.

I'm using the RH pod AND the throttle tube / grip from a Bandit I think, but a later model Kat would work as well (many of the Suzuki bikes use the same pods pretty much) and the LH pod is from a Kat as well.

Just get the wiring schematic for the old pod and new pod, and splice it in. I went a bit further, and I bought two old pre 98 pods from KR members here, for cheap, and I'm using the plug off the old pods to wire into the newer pods, then shrink wrap / tape 'em up and just install 'em.
        i like that idea i'll have to do that once i get around to doing mine. let me know how it goes and what problems you run into if any. since you'll probably get around to doing yours before i do.

Comment

Working...
        X