No announcement yet.
X

Serious Electrical Issue, help asap 4 bikeweek

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thanks a lot for the feedback. I was outta town this weekend so I couldn't do much as far as the Kat n the Forum.

So I checked all the harnesses and found the 168 milliamp charge on the alt. as stated before. I am checking out the wiring and it seems that there has been some splicing jobs and that there is a lead respliced into the alternator (into the red w/tracer wire) and then it leads to a dead harness not being used. I'm about to check the charge with the bike on and the throttle up to 4k to see how the charging is doing

So if i get the alt rebuilt, then all should be well?

Comment

it might not be the alternator

probably whats happening is that your starter selenoid is leaking current

you can get one for about 30-40 buks used

Comment

P.S. i have voltage on the alternator field of the alternator at all times

Comment

Does anyone have a torn apart Kat that has decent electrical wiring still intact? I need to check these splices!!!!

Thx

Comment

OK, after a very long and teidious diagoniosis....The sh*tas* stealership I took the bike to, to have the headgasket changed last summer F'ed me.
            Not only did I need to take it back 6 times afterwards cuz they broke other things but they connect the wrong harness into the alternator which lead to no where...so there was a constant power drain that the ignition was not cutting off.

All in all, make sure you do your own work, and that if you have a non-cali katana, don't use the extra wires and harnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by atpgtr View Post
              OK, after a very long and teidious diagoniosis....The sh*tas* stealership I took the bike to, to have the headgasket changed last summer F'ed me.
              Not only did I need to take it back 6 times afterwards cuz they broke other things but they connect the wrong harness into the alternator which lead to no where...so there was a constant power drain that the ignition was not cutting off.

All in all, make sure you do your own work, and that if you have a non-cali katana, don't use the extra wires and harnesses.
              I wrapped the cali plugs into the harness when I pulled it apart.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
              X