X

Headlights won't turn on...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights won't turn on...

I've had this off/on problem with headlights. They will turn off for days and then turn back on by themselves. Everything else works perfectly except the headlights. Even the 3rd eye.

I've checked the fuses, the ignition button area.. Nada. I'm about to check the bulbs, but I seriously doubt that's the problem. If the bulbs aren't the problem, next comes the harness. I hate having to take off the fairing but...

Any other ideas?

Check the light switch for corrosion. I had a somewhat similar problem, and it was the switch. I took an eraser (light use of emery cloth would work), then put di-electric grease on the contacts,and it's good as new. Be careful taking it apart though, mine had a few little parts that could zing off to the nether-regions of your garage.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

it's a wiring problem. You can forget about checking the bulbs and jump right to the harness.

Comment

Single most common cause for "goofy" electrical issues:

Loose/bad ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Single most common cause for "goofy" electrical issues:

Loose/bad ground.
          Yes, I was thinking it might be a ground too. I just don't think it's the light switch... It's last on my list.

I'm going to get a Volt meter to check some of this stuff... Gee, I hope I remember how to use it!

Comment

It's the wiring harness. Once I got there, it was pretty easy to see what the problem was.. I pushed in the wire that looked a little cruddy on the harness and the lights came on, no problem. However, I do have a concern...

While pushing the wire in, the wire got a bit hot. Not to the point where it would burn my finger, but hot. It is feeding the headlights, so there's going to be a lot of current going through it. It looks like the connectors touching in the wiring harness looked burnt. Could've been one of the bulbs that burnt out and caused the problem...

Should I be concerned?

Now that I have all the fairing off.. Time to order those clear turn signal covers! I can go two days without my bike
            Attached Files

Comment

A bad connection will do that.
              As it makes and breaks contact, it will spark.
              Bad contacts make heat.
              If you have the right tool to pull the pins out
              of the connector, you can clean them properly.
              Then put in the dielectric grease and put them
              back together.

Comment

A dirty or loose connection has a higher resistance than the clean tight one. That resistance creates a high current point that creates heat that can burn the connection, that creates a poorer and dirtier connection that creates more current load and more heat. That heat can melt the plastic and eventually set it on fire or cause the connector to melt into contact with another wire. Leading to failure or fire.. Never good.

eek!

Comment

Originally posted by Skeezix
                  A bad connection will do that.
                  As it makes and breaks contact, it will spark.
                  Bad contacts make heat.
                  If you have the right tool to pull the pins out
                  of the connector, you can clean them properly.
                  Then put in the dielectric grease and put them
                  back together.
                  What kind of tool we talkin' about? Where can I get that type of grease?

I got a couple of days before I get the new headlight covers...

Comment

Originally posted by sleekkatanarider
                    What kind of tool we talkin' about?
                    In this case, a tiny screwdriver. A wire brad may work in a pinch. Just lift the little plastic tab away from the pin and it should slide right out. Once out, check to make sure neither the wire end nor the pin is corroded. If it is, you'll have to replace it, probably with an aftermarket connector of some type.

Where can I get that type of grease?
                    Any auto parts store. While you have the fairing off, go ahead and take apart and coat all the connectors so this doesn't happen to any other wires.

/kiba
                    find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

OT : kiba, is your avatar from Akira, by chance? I've seen it somewhere...
                      GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

Originally posted by River
                        OT : kiba, is your avatar from Akira, by chance? I've seen it somewhere...
                        Not even close, it's Naruto. Man oh man, it's been years since I last watched Akira... I may change it soon to the one from the Gundam X OP that I use elsewhere:

It's too bad this site doesn't allow off-site linking; I have a cool script that rotates through these and a few more randomly.

/kiba
                        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Yeah, I thought a tiny screwdriver would do the trick. I'll give it a shot. Plus, the grease... Never used it before.. How do you actually apply it to connectors? Just the male end of the connectors? Super thin film?

Originally posted by kiba
                          What kind of tool we talkin' about?
                          In this case, a tiny screwdriver. A wire brad may work in a pinch. Just lift the little plastic tab away from the pin and it should slide right out. Once out, check to make sure neither the wire end nor the pin is corroded. If it is, you'll have to replace it, probably with an aftermarket connector of some type.

Where can I get that type of grease?
                          Any auto parts store. While you have the fairing off, go ahead and take apart and coat all the connectors so this doesn't happen to any other wires.

/kiba

Comment

Yeah, I thought a tiny screwdriver would do the trick. I'll give it a shot. Plus, the grease... Never used it before.. How do you actually apply it to connectors? Just the male end of the connectors? Super thin film?
                            In my post here you can see the way the connectors work:

What I do with the grease (also sold as "bulb grease") is fill the female connector. I just pump it in. Then when you make the connection it squirts all over letting you know its all covered.

Comment

Awesome! I'll give the pin removal a shot tonight. I thought the greasing method is hillarious Hey, let's keep it easy!

Originally posted by Black_peter
                              In my post here you can see the way the connectors work:

What I do with the grease (also sold as "bulb grease") is fill the female connector. I just pump it in. Then when you make the connection it squirts all over letting you know its all covered.

Comment

Working...
                              X