X

Alternator Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Issue

I have a 1990 Katana GSX1100F and driving to work one day the battery completely died, so I while at work went over to the local bike shop to pick up a battery, which didn’t fix my problem. Put the ohm meter on the battery ran the rpm’s up to 5 and was not charging. I pulled the alternator and tested the voltage regulator and it was completely dead no voltage output at all. So I order a new voltage regulator ($145) and install it, put my bike back together and started her up. Tested the output and it was working for a couple of seconds and stopped charging just like before. Pulled the alternator out again and test the regulator and it was dead.

So my question is, what could be causing the regulator to blow out? is it the alternator causing it or do I have a wiring issue somewhere. I did buy a used alternator but kind of scared to install.

Check all your ground wires first. Its better to rule out the easy stuff before shelling out the cash on new parts.

Comment

thank you for the tip, I checked most of the grounds and all looked good so I installed the alternator today and so far charging as normal.

Comment

Well that good news. Keep us updated.........

Comment

Working...
        X