X

Ground wire getting hot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground wire getting hot

What could be causing the ground wire to heat up? The connection terminal has already started to melt.

Dirty or corroded connections cause resistance. Resistance causes heat build up, increases resistance too. Eventually compounds into connectors melting, burning up.

I'd also check to make sure you don't have a short that may be drawing more power than it should be.

In general, clean all connections points well, then use dielectric grease to help reduce further corrosion from occurring.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Dirty or corroded connections cause resistance. Resistance causes heat build up, increases resistance too. Eventually compounds into connectors melting, burning up.

I'd also check to make sure you don't have a short that may be drawing more power than it should be.

In general, clean all connections points well, then use dielectric grease to help reduce further corrosion from occurring.

Krey
      What can I use to cleanse the connectors?

Comment

Found the cluster of wires that makes the negative wire hot.. it's when I reconnect the head lights.. Could it be in the high/low switch that something got corroded? The connector looks fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreverever View Post
          Found the cluster of wires that makes the negative wire hot.. it's when I reconnect the head lights.. Could it be in the high/low switch that something got corroded? The connector looks fine.
          The 98+ models have a really common issue with a connector directly under the windshield causing an issue, but you need to do some testing and narrow down. I don't have a specific direction to point otherwise.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

The 98+ models have a really common issue with a connector directly under the windshield causing an issue, but you need to do some testing and narrow down. I don't have a specific direction to point otherwise.

Krey
            ​​​​​​
            Yep. Thanks you! It's the cluster of wires that connects to the headlights, left blinker, and that center light above the headlights. Under the shield. I See some light green/white corrosion on one of the pins. White wire. Going towards the black wire.

Comment

Working...
            X